M14 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 18" rifle with a USCG muzzle brake and front site. I've been recommended to switch to a GLFS and whatever muzzle device I choose, however my question is: what do I gain by doing so?

The sight radius would be slightly shorter vs a standard front sight. Not a huge deal, but certainly not an advantage.

Would it save on weight?

My only thought was shorter overall length, however the USCG muzzle brake is actually quite short. Significantly shorter than a standard flash suppressor actually. Would I really be saving that much with another muzzle device? I would most likely go with some sort of hybrid comp if I swapped it out.

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
I've got the CG brake on both of my 18'ers and am happy with them. Very effective.

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
I have found the coast guard brake to indeed have some effect, but it doesn't hold a candle to a surefire brake, or delta p jae.

The coast gaurd brake lacks any expansion chambers it's simply a tube that let's out on the sides and top.

For accuracy the cg brake's many top holes create problems with the gas jet that chases your projectile out your barell.

That said, I still use a cg brake on my spr and it shoots all holes touching 10 shot groups in my poorly skilled hands.

As for the glfs...

The advantage is you get rid of the barrel splines. The chances of your muzzle device being off center is greatly reduced by many orders of magnitude when you use a direct connect muzzle device.

One major disadvantage of the sei glfs (which I chose for the USN marking for my mod 1 clone) is that a typical gas lock wrench no longer works well (it does work but it's pretty damn hokey).

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've been pretty happy with the CG brake so far. I shot it next to an AR-15 running a SF brake and the AR was noticeably louder. More blast as well. If I were to get a direct connect muzzle device, it would be some sort of hybrid like a KAC MAMs ($$$) or a Griffon flash comp.

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
That's one thing I'll say is the cg brake is comfortable to shoot.

I don't like the feeling in my jaw the more effective brakes create. Also I like to converse with other shooters which is hard with sonic defenders and Peltor muffs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts