M14 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got my Advantage Arms 1911 conversion kit up and running, after a year of procrastination. GI1

It wouldn't cycle even mini-mags with the stock mainspring so I installed the 18 lb spring that comes with the kit, and it runs great with Remington Golden Bullet (which I generally despise, but works great in this and my M11/22 subgun) and a couple others. Lots of malfunctions with Winchester and Federal.

Fun as heck to shoot! The AA kit has some advantages over other designs using aluminum slides, as it has a hardened steel insert that allows the slide stop to function. Adjustable sights, nicely finished, good magazines for about $20 per.

I recommend it! They also make them for Glocks of various sizes.

www.advantagearms.com

Video for those interested

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scT5lmSzcDk[/ame]

I appreciate the likes, favorites, and ad views/clicks :)

Rock on USN5

·
Registered
153 Posts
So when you switch back to the regular slide do you have to replace the mainspring with the original, or do you leave in the 18 pounder that came with the Advantage Arms kit?

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
My conversion was just as picky. None of the CCI, super x, federal....none of it would cycle two rounds in a row.

But.... when I get the cheapest of the cheap Remington 550 pack, it works flawless. Only problem is the damn duds every 20 rounds ruining my times.

Watched the video.... You're going through almost the same problems I am with my Marvel conversion.

The metal/plastic mags that came with mine were also junk so I ordered the Ciener magazines off of Midway. The guy is a Douche but the mags are decent quality and work better than the other options out there.

Mine wont feed the first round from slide lock either. Have to pull and release the slide. Otherwise it just stops halfway over the mag with a round jammed into the front of the feed ramp.

You have the same barrel lug/guide rod system mine has. Exact same. Only differences on our conversions is the steel slide stop insert and the extractor. Hell, we even have the same tool to tighten down the guide rod. Ha.

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So when you switch back to the regular slide do you have to replace the mainspring with the original, or do you leave in the 18 pounder that came with the Advantage Arms kit?
I will have to switch back to the 23 lb mainspring for .45 ACP. But I'm thinking of getting a spare MS housing and leaving it installed, and just swapping the MS housing out. Changing the spring is a pain. :D

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Turtle, interesting. I have had zero malfs with CCI Mini-Mags, Remington GB (vintage and new), and Federal HV match. I continue to have problems with Winchester Super-X and Bushman. (I only shot more of those to test the group size; I won't try it any more.)

I shot all my available ammo for groups this morning and the Mini-mags were second best (about 1 inch at 30 feet, rested) but the new Remington GBs were the clear winner. One hole groups, maybe .5 to .75". I was shocked. I didn't know there was so much variation in .22 ammo; I haven't shot it a LOT for groups. Some of the other stuff was like 2-3 inches at 10 yards!

I have not had good luck with RGB in the past in other pistols, and after watching several case failures during matches in others' guns I've avoided it like the plague. But I haven't had a single issue with this batch... mabye I got a good box. :D

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For those interested, I made a video of the detail strip/disassembly process. This information is not contained in the manual.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpLokpmK8tk[/ame]

·
Registered
847 Posts
I've had the Kimber .22 1911 conversion( 5" slide, self contained, only pull out SS to put on/take off, nothing else to switch out) for over a year and had NO problems with it , at all. I use it around the farm exclusively, to dispatch 120lb goats to possum and .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.