M14 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the m1a/m14 need an adjustable gas system?

I been thnking if we took the hex plug out and drilled and tapped it for a 1/16'' npt pipe plug then we can make an assortment of different pipe plugs with different size holes in them so we can adjust the gas pressure and gun to the ammo were using. We can bleed off the extra gas pressure and save some wear. Then the receiver and bolt plus the wear on all the moving parts won't get beat up so much??

It may or may not be a problem, but i could have too much free time on my hands too but what do ya think? Bill

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Since my m14 is a norc it may not be available in metric. I can make one. I think its a great idea because some ammo is hotter than the others. On the other hand we can shoot the hotter ammo safely too if we adjust the gas system to it. Why beat up the guns operating system for nothing gained. We install the stronger recoil spring and that may not be enough. Bill

In my other military surplus guns that have the adjustable gas feature I like it. It saves the receiver and bolt's from being punished by having just the right amount of gas thats allowed to operate the system.

Some gas adjustment info;

With one surplus military gun the egyptian hakim in 8mm mauser if the gas valve is open too far(lets say no gas adjustment valve) some where swearing the gun was firing out of battery. I figured out the bolt would pull back the spent case opening the breech/chamber before the bullet left the barrel thus the shooter was getting hit in the face with the 50k psi breech pressure. It would open the breech as the bullet passed the gas port. Because of the higher pressure allowed in the gas system it happens in mili seconds. These guys who had this happen at the time were selling there guns for $150 at the time and even the ones who were afraid it would happen were selling them too. Now if they used the hotter 8mm turkish surplus ammo which was manufactured for the bolt action rifles with the faster burn rate that shouldn't be used in a semi auto your chances were 100% this so called out of battery firing will happen.

Now i was on the way to the local range once and i picked up a russian svt-40 tokarev sniper rifle and figured i put a few rounds thru it just to see if it shot. I learned a lesson that day. The first round i shot out of it was like getting hit with a baseball bat in the shoulder. The receiver was being hit by the bolt carrier/bolt it over traveled because the gas port was too far open. I put it away after feeling that. When i got home i noticed the gas valve set all the way open. I wonder now if the PO ever shot it or not. Normally the gas setting on these is 1.3 its the low setting. Most of the svt-40's i have shot operated awesome at this setting. Once i set it at 1.3 it ran fine. Again lessons learned don't rush to shoot a newly purchased gun. I was new to collecting and shooting the old war horses then.

On the svt-40 tokarev also the scribed lines on the gas port adjustment screw need to be lined up perfectly too other wise the little gas port holes won't line up and the gun won't function it becomes a single shot. I purchased another svt-40 that was a refurb in unissued/unshot condition because the scribed lines were off on the gas valve. The guy at the gun show who sold it to me must of laughed inside when i purchased it. I set the gas screw at the 1.3 and she rock n rolled. Since the bolt face had no wear from the shells casings she was unfired until i shot it.

My point is its all about being safe and knowing how the different gas systems operate too. The hakim, the svt-40 and the rasheed all adjust the sameway the gas port adjusts how much gas pressure the system sees/gets to operate it. So the more the port is closed the better. While the fn49's the gas adjustment sleeve adjusts how much gas is exhausted away from the system so the more the port is open the better. Again if our gun has the gas adjustment feature we need to understand how it operates to be safe when we adjust it.

Sorry if i bore everyone but its all about being safe and having the gas adjustment awareness too.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just ordered a metric gas plug so i can build my adjustable gas system. Maybe this will eliminate the headspace wear somewhat too. Now i wonder how many rounds is the headspace good for if its at the go gauge and won't pass on the no go gauge? Bill

I'm sorry but i'm into tuning the gun to the ammo were shooting and i'm also getting into tuning it with the recoil springs too. Having the adjustable gas system is a plus too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.