M14 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone! I just bought my first rifle today an M1A scout squad with walnut stock. I'm absolutely pumped to go and shoot it, but I have a couple questions.

1. I'm not a hunter by trade but I am interested in going out for a deer with some buddies next season. When that time comes I was thinking of getting an additional stock in synthetic finish to avoid scratching the walnut. What do you guys think about that? And where should I look for a plain Jane synthetic stock. (On a budget)

2. I was checking out the rifle today and loaded it up and racked it. It seemed to function properly but When I went to clear/extract the round nothing happened. The round was stuck in the barrel, casing and all and I could only remove it with a cleaning rod. Did this happen because the bolt didn't come forward hard enough. Do you think there might be damage?

3. Where is the best place to find a replica M14 strap?

Thanks for your help!

111 Posts
Howdy Juice! This is a great forum for learning about a great rifle. For hunting in brush, I would reccomend the plastic stock because I would hate to ding up a good wood stock. You may or may not get better accuracy with a wood or synthetic stock, I would get a wood stock and test'em both out with your chosen hunting ammo.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Forum rule (hope you read them all when you agreed to join). "If you are from Louisiana, you have to supply your southern forum buddies with boudan and etouffee."

But seriously, an SAI plastic stock is the cheapest route; but most here would agree that you save your money (or shop very actively on the net) and get a USGI fiberglass.

And welcome!

·
Registered
73 Posts
I went hunting this year with my Norc M305 in a USGI fiberglass stock. Worked great. Finish is tough as nails, and hard to go wrong with fiberglass. I got mine from Treeline M14 in excellent condition for around $150 all in shipped to Canada. I'm sure you'll be able to find some reasonably priced ones on here for sale by private owners. Good luck!

Just wanted to add, I also filled in the selector switch cut out with JB weld on the USGI stock. Keeps gunk from getting into the trigger housing guts. Forearm was also stiffened with carbon fiber arrow shafts while I was at it.

·
Banned
2,951 Posts
Welcome from the FREE STATE OF IDAHO!

·
Administrator
17,752 Posts
Welcome on board Juice182, pull up an old ammunition crate and sit awhile. This here Gun Board is a great place for information on our beloved M14 Battlerifle and military surplus ammunition for feeding her. Again welcome on board and have yourself a great weekend. Thank you for your service to our country, America is better off because of you. This is the Welcome § of the Gun Board, question on rifle and stocks belong in the M14 § below, thank you.

DI5

·
Registered
633 Posts
I thank you made the best choice.
Shoot it and enjoy.
I'd start with nothing heavier than 168gr.
For hunting, get the cheapest USGI fiberglass stock you can find and refinish it your liking.

·
Super Moderator
3,552 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Roswell, Georgia!

Many options to save your orginal walnut stock and get something just to hunt!

Get a Plain Jane USGI wood stock off the PX that you don't care if you beat-up, get a USGI Fiberglass Stock or I found a used Arachangel stock that I use just for hunting Deer and Hogs (it is a deadly set-up) - purchased it used and put a camo paint pattern on it - see link or click link below for details. Put one pic below the link for you.

M1Army

http://m14forum.com/stock/166992-archangel-flectar-camo-just-fun.html

·
Premium Member
Honorary Forum Lifer
17,030 Posts
I was thinking of getting an additional stock in synthetic finish to avoid scratching the walnut. What do you guys think about that? And where should I look for a plain Jane synthetic stock. (On a budget)
Another guy for getting a USGI fiberglass stock, you can find one reasonably cheap and camo it. Good idea, one for show, one for go. I have a cheap SAI synthetic on my Scout right now, I've been shooting it more. Getting the job done and won't scratch/gouge up my nice ones.
m14brian

·
Registered
3,420 Posts

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Question #3: To load an M14 you need to pull back the op rod and let it fly forward to chamber a round. Do not ride the op rod forward.

Do a forum search on SAI extractors. There are many occurrences of the cast SAI extractors breaking. For $30 replace the junk cast SAI extractor with a forged USGI extractor. Easy to do.

You might find a USGI stock more to your liking, they are much less clunky than the factory SAI walnut stocks. As stated, the USGI fiberglass is a great choice.

·
Registered
11,685 Posts
2. I was checking out the rifle today and loaded it up and racked it. It seemed to function properly but When I went to clear/extract the round nothing happened. The round was stuck in the barrel, casing and all and I could only remove it with a cleaning rod. Did this happen because the bolt didn't come forward hard enough. Do you think there might be damage?

3. Where is the best place to find a replica M14 strap?

Thanks for your help!
2. It is very important to always let the cartridges feed from the magazine. Pull the operating rod slightly rearwards, to release the bolt lock, and let bolt fly forward on it's own power to strip and chamber the cartridge.

Make sure you are using proper ammunition. A lot of foriegn ammo, especially military surplus, is oversized for your match grade chamber.

3. You can find current issue nylon M14 straps on Ebay, Gunbroker, Brownells, etc, for uner $15.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Howdie and Welcome from the left coast.
I know your rifle is new, but give it a good cleaning anyhow paying special attention to the chamber. Have you bought a chamber brush yet? You'll need one among other things. You can watch Tonybens videos and learn the "How To's" real quickly.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Another NW welcome, Keep reading, learning and posting and if there is no photo, it simply did not happen! Enjoy the forum.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Question #3: To load an M14 you need to pull back the op rod and let it fly forward to chamber a round. Do not ride the op rod forward.

Do a forum search on SAI extractors. There are many occurrences of the cast SAI extractors breaking. For $30 replace the junk cast SAI extractor with a forged USGI extractor. Easy to do.

You might find a USGI stock more to your liking, they are much less clunky than the factory SAI walnut stocks. As stated, the USGI fiberglass is a great choice.
Thanks for the answers! I really hope that a brand new extractor didn't break before the gun has even fired but I know it's a possibility. I'm going shooting this weekend with an owner of a M1A so I will have him look it over and help me make sure it's properly cleaned

·
Registered
168 Posts
I doubt you have a broken extractor, most likely you just didn't get the bolt fully closed to engage the extractor on the base of the shell.

Don't think that walnut stock is too fragile to handle the Deer woods, I hunt mine in her walnut stock and it cleans up real nice. Her scars seem to heal faster than mine after a session in a cut-over full of cat-claw brairs.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts