M14 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My uncle had a pristine M1 Garand from WWII that I received through my father. I'd like to add an M14 or M1A (I'm not looking for full auto) that looks and feels as close to the original issue as possible. I joined this site to ask this question and then proceed to ask a few more as my feeble brain begins to digest the first answer.
I have other rifles that my son and I use for hunting whitetail deer but they are not of the M1 family.
I'm not a gunsmith and don't really know one around my area. The closest gun shop is 60 miles away but I do know a few guys with the FFL license in the area so that isn't too much of an issue as far as shipping a rifle from anywhere in the US to here.
Sooooo, what would you guys that know these weapons inside and out recommend? I'm not looking for a tacticool rifle with all the bells and whistles. Just a good rifle with a good barrel, iron sights and a wooden stock.
Fire when ready, Mr. Gridley!

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
I would go for a LRB if you want a new rifle that is the best money can buy. It will be as close to a USGI rifle as it gets. http://www.lrbarms.com/m14rifles.html
The LRB cost more but its worth it.
The next best thing would be to look for a preban SAI in the serial number range of 30,000-90,000 with as many USGI parts as you can find. This will be a cheaper route but you will have to find one for sale. It may take some time.

·
Premium Member
Honorary Forum Lifer
18,128 Posts
+1 to LRB rifles.
If you are considering more than one, I might get a Springfield Armory M1A off the shelf first so you have one now, while waiting for an LRB, the wait on an LRB is long, but very worth it.
m14brian

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Welcome to the forum from NorCal. While looking for your first rifle be sure and check the PX here on the site. A number of good rifles come up for sale and good deals can be found. Have fun and keep us posted.

·
Registered
169 Posts
My situation very similar to yours in that I also have a very nice M1Garand, '03 Springfield and to further the trend wanted a M14 clone. Had my first M1A way back in the mid 70's and used it for XC matches plus general shooting and it was a fine rifle. Sold it and went on to other things, but always missed the rifle and only recently purchased LRB M14SA w/ med. wt barrel, etc., etc. Reason I went with LRB is that I first became aware of them several years ago at their booth on "commercial row" at Camp Perry and of course they were displaying their forged reciever versions and after doing some research and shopping around decided I would go for one. Came with GI type fiberglass stock and camo painted it and added stiffener rods to forearm, but preferred walnut and sold the glass stock and added nice walnut to the rifle. Low round count at this time, but overall fit and finish of rifle metal wise is good and function and accuracy good also. The three of them together makes a nice threesome. Soon to add one more to the collection and then I am through. Expecting OOW 1918A3 within couple weeks and then their will be a foursome.

·
Banned
1,374 Posts
There have been many threads concerning which forged receivers to buy, so my advice would be to shop around. Gov't spec M-14 receivers were made of 8620 forged steel and that was my minimum requirement. Due to price, quality and availability I settled on 7.62 and have three of their builds with all USGI parts and all shoot at least as well as any M-14 I was issued. 8620 became government standard in about 1943 and remained so throughout M-14 production.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Welcome to the forum, you will find many good M14's right here on the forum, just keep looking. Don't get into a hurry wait for the right one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.