M14 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just ordered a Leupold Mark 4 4.5x14x40 30mm scope and am thinking a Bassett low picatinny scope mount for my M1a.
I don't think I will be trying to use the irons with the scope mounted.

Any ideas on this?

Also...scope rings??? Kinda like the Leupold QRW as I can change this scope to my varmint AR should I want to. Opinions??

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
In theory changing optics from weapon to weapon sounds great but in practical application it usually doesn't work out, especially between M1A's to AR's. First neither weapon will have the same zero, just a fact of life. Second the eye relief needed is pretty different between an AR and M1A.

The mount is a good choice but I'd go with regular PRW rings or better yet Warne rings.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks.

I usually max out the eye relief on my scopes so I can get a good turkey neck/cheek weld. Not all shooting is done bench style.

Ring choice advise is appreciated.

I know I will have to re-zero switching from 5.56 to 7.62, and go into this with full knowledge of it. Hmmm...I keep forgeting about the Leupold target scope I have. Gloss, but it will work just fine on the AR. (Bought it before the matte was offered.)

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
im a one scope/one gun person myself. i prefer the warne QD rings over the leupold, as they are less expensive and made better.

·
Registered
744 Posts
If you want to use the irons, the Bassett mount can be taken off for that then put back on with out loosing zero.

I've had to do some scope swapping lately. It's a real pain!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Seems I have read of some scope rings having problems with Bassett picatinny mounts...any rings I should avoid.

Never thought of masking and painting the scope. Note to self...think out of the box

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts