M14 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Picked up some acu mag pouches on the cheap.. hate the color but wanted to try to dye them to see if I could get something usable for Louisiana green foliage. So after reading 20 pages of stuff at ar15 forum I got busy. First washed them with dish washing soap dawn to remove smell and dirt. Then heated small stock pot of water to a boil, added in 1 cup white vinegar ( must for synthetic materials) used dark green Rit dye added about 3 tblsp. And a squirt of dawn soap to the pot. Once it began to boil I put the pouches in and using tongs agitated the pouch till it got dark enough pulled let drain then did next pouch same way. Put trash bag on floor to catch hot wet pouches, after I did all of the pouches I rinsed them in cold water and put out in sun till dry this supposedly sets dye. I also did a three Molle II pouch that was 3 color desert tan. It took dying it twice to get a somewhat acceptable color. Once they dried in hot sun I washed again using baking soda and scent away clothes soap to try to remove vinegar smell.

Before wash and dye

After wash and dry final color!

Reactions: 96coal449

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Obtw this is the liquid dye. Picked up at Wally World Craft section for less than $5.00. As you can see the tan didn’t take the dye well. The darker pouch went in first and stayed the longest. Can’t really make out the lighter and darker pixels. The second pouch there is a pattern there. The guy I got idea from used apple green 4 to 1 with dark green mix and He got more contrast. He used taupe/black dye and got an acceptable coyote pattern on acu/ucp gear. Note as you dye items you deplete the dye in pot so may want to add some after each item comes out. Note with synthetic materials what you see wet is close to what you get after it drys. Cotton material fades a bunch after it drys So go darker than what you want with it. Thought I’d post my experience to help out. Still not sure if I’m going to be dyeing my 60 era Alice gear. I kind of like the old stuff.

Reactions: 96coal449
1 - 2 of 2 Posts