M14 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a Garand rifle made in March 1942. The unusual thing is the receiver looks blued but the barrel is a gray parkerizing and is dated "6 45". I can't find any info about the receiver being blued and was hoping someone here might know.

All parts seem to be Springfield Armory made parts.
The barrel measures a TE 1 and ME 1.
The stock is stamped "RRAD" on the left buttstock and a boxed "P" on the pistol grip.

I would be most greatful if someone can tell me more about this rifle.

Thanks
Ruel

public link to pics.
http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrowse.asp?selected=373685

"REP 25C" "D28291-17" "W" on receiver and "D35282 9 SA" op rod

"3 SA 6 45 D35448-35-Y-218-B-3" an "M" under the fish like character
on the barrel

"R" on the op rod handle

Thanks
Ruel

·
Registered
58 Posts
Sounds like a nice post war rebuild. RRAD is Red River Army Depot who did the work. Gray park is typical of many postwar rebuilds.

Your #509203 was originally made sometime in March/April 1942.

Rebarreled with a SA barrel made in "6/45", nice. The -12 bolt (mid 42 on) maybe correct, but the , -12 TG (late 42 on) maybe a bit too "late" for your serial number.

Your Op rod, a -9, appears to be a curved sided one, again late '43 to early 45. If it's a flat sided -9, Early 45 on etc. Your rifle shoudl wear a -3 revision, uncut.

When rifles went through rebuild, many parts get mixed up, assembled with regard to function not numbers/date matching.

A very nice example of a postwar rebuild. Any electro pencil markings on the receiver legs? Sometimes they engrave the rebuild dates.

Enjoy

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Saw your post earlier across the street, congrats on your new rifle. Gotta love those 6-digit S/N's... :D

No idea why the receiver might have been blued. The only blued Garand I've ever seen was a "sporterized" job at a local gunshop.

Yours looks like a fine rifle - whether you leave it as-is or get it reparked to restore the original finish is up to you though.

Best,
Quag

·
Registered
58 Posts
To add;

Actually your receiver looks like my 4 digit and 5 digit SA and 6 digit WRA M1; original charcoal park finish that has that "patina" look developed over the years. Without a close examination, I'd say it's probably park and not blue...but anything can happen to a rifle over it's 62 year life!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quagmire said:
Saw your post earlier across the street, congrats on your new rifle. Gotta love those 6-digit S/N's... :D

No idea why the receiver might have been blued. The only blued Garand I've ever seen was a "sporterized" job at a local gunshop.

Yours looks like a fine rifle - whether you leave it as-is or get it reparked to restore the original finish is up to you though.

Best,
Quag

Thanks.

I've been wanting a real WII Garand for awhile. I settled with a SA Inc repro but couldn't resist this when it came down the pipe. Can't beleive it took so long for me to get one.

On the other site I read that you keep the AR guys on their toes at matches with your Garand.
Hope mine shoots half as good as yours.

Thanks
Ruel

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
iamgene said:
To add;

Actually your receiver looks like my 4 digit and 5 digit SA and 6 digit WRA M1; original charcoal park finish that has that "patina" look developed over the years. Without a close examination, I'd say it's probably park and not blue...but anything can happen to a rifle over it's 62 year life!
I'll probably just keep it the same till I find out for sure if it has been blued or not. I can always bring it to Orion7 and ask Tony if it is blued or parked. I have to arrange a trip there to get parts to restore the rifle with correct parts anyway.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.