Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thinking about an M25 with an ACOG

Uncle sam with an ACOG on an M14.....

·
Registered
437 Posts
know that the acog you get (ta33 or ta11 is most widely tried on the m14) you will have to have it mounted pretty much directly over the stripper clip guide to be in the correct position for correct eye relief.

The Smith ACOG mount is the way to go really. You can see it in that photo. I used an arms #18 mount along with a GDI RCOM ACOG mount so I could remove the scope easily and have irons.

I'm not sure how that would have worked because I worried about the ejecting brass hitting the RCOM mount. I never got to try it out.

Those two options are it I really believe. Why? Anything else I encountered from other mounts to full rails might put the ACOG back far enough, but it will put it super high (that includes GDI's purpose made ACOG mount). It will already require a cheek riser with the two options above.....everything else puts the ACOG just goofy high.

Another ACOG that will work, but more friendly mounted just in front of the stripper clip guide is the ta45. That little 1.5 power scope has great eye relief, more than stated at trijicons sight, more than the ta11 or 33. It will sit lower than the other two scopes above as well.

Good luck. The ACOG M14 is a fun project to try (if you don't mind buying and selling to fund the revolving door of attempt trying different things).

·
Registered
437 Posts
Btw, I never understood that photo above of the ta31 on that M14. It's impossible for that guy to have a full sight picture. They eye relief for that scope is only a couple inches. Look how far away he is?

·
Banned
1,113 Posts
Btw, I never understood that photo above of the ta31 on that M14. It's impossible for that guy to have a full sight picture. They eye relief for that scope is only a couple inches. Look how far away he is?
Mine is mounted on the trijicon acog mount and i have perfect sight picture.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Remember the the TA31 is parallax free and the Bindon aiming concept will make it capable to use to a certain extent. You really dont need corect eye relief even though it makes thing right. I think of it sort of like a magnified red dot with a BDC. Install a vltor stock to bring you closer to the action and eye releif can be set at the 2.7" required....

ACOGs are alot of fun to use and a lethal tool if need beGI5

·
Banned
1,113 Posts
If only they could fit their reticles into a lower mag variable powerscope. Mounting issues would be moot...
Respectfully- what mounting issues? Trijicon makes a mount just for it, works perfect. All you need is a cheek riser.

·
Registered
437 Posts
The trijicon mount is the same as the GDI mount. Personally I think they are just too high. Have to have a gigantic cheek riser.

I'm talking about with a standard stock in all this btw. Go into ebr or troy land and it's a completely different story.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Remember the the TA31 is parallax free and the Bindon aiming concept will make it capable to use to a certain extent. You really dont need corect eye relief even though it makes thing right. I think of it sort of like a magnified red dot with a BDC. Install a vltor stock to bring you closer to the action and eye releif can be set at the 2.7" required....

ACOGs are alot of fun to use and a lethal tool if need beGI5
Oh yeah cobra, I never thought of that. He's probably both eyes open viewing, using bindon (but at that point why not just have an aimpoint). If he was one eye closed his 4x zoom sight picture would be about the size of this 0.

T

·
0 Posts
Check my first reply. That's what I used, and it's pictured.
OH.......guess I should read more carefully. Let me ask you this, did you compare the GDI scope mount against the GDI adapter rail mounted to a conventional mount in relation to height ? If so, was one lower than the other or were they about the same height ?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Does the 7.62mm bullet drop compensator (BDC) reticle work right with these setups? Each ACOG BDC reticle is based on a specific round (bullet weight and muzzle velocity), barrel length and height over bore. IIRC the 7.62 ACOGs are made for flat top AR10 clones or M240. If you put them high enough over the bore of an M14 for the BDC to work right, wouldn't you need a raised cheek weld to avoid a chin weld?

·
Registered
437 Posts
OH.......guess I should read more carefully. Let me ask you this, did you compare the GDI scope mount against the GDI adapter rail mounted to a conventional mount in relation to height ? If so, was one lower than the other or were they about the same height ?
I assume you mean this:
http://www.gdiengineering.com/store/products/g1-0sm-optical-sight-mount-275.html

compared to the way I went with arms 18 and r-com acog mount?

My way is lower. The SEI ACOG mount and the arms 18 / gdi rcom acog mount combo are both lower than the g1-0sm mount. The difference is that the first two mount combos obscure the iron sights. The g1-0sm does not, it's just over the iron sights. So that is the difference in height you are talking about. To me it was just too high at that point, I couldn't stand the way it looked, completely un-ergonomic to me. The SEI or the combo I used was as high above the bore as I wanted to go.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts