M14 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was playing around looking at the specs for ACOGs and noticed something... some models are sub 2" ER, and the .308 model is 2.4" That just doesn't seem like enough room.

Its not that m1a's have that much recoil, but there is some there. It only took one time for me to ....

Anyone that has shot one ever have any problems with it or is it one of those "you just gotta try one" type of things...

·
Inquisitor
11,356 Posts
I don't have problems with it, but I've never used one on a M1A. ACOG's were really designed with AR's in mind, where the recoil is negligible.

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
if your holding the rifle properly you wont have a problem.

i get my eye real close to the aperature of ironsights ive never had a problem.

the acog was not meant to be fired from a bench. shoot with the rifle properly shouldered in any normal combat shooting position and you will find the sight very useful.

the way i understand it. short eye relief is a inherent issue with any prism sight, and i believe is a direct trade off for its enhanced light gathering in a small package.

shoot at dusk and youll see those acogs are bright.

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
I don't have problems with it, but I've never used one on a M1A. ACOG's were really designed with AR's in mind, where the recoil is negligible.
The original 4x32 ACOG does have short eye relief. It was designed for use on a 5.56 rifle, everything else has come along since.

One day I was looking for an excuse to use the mill in the shop, so I milled an M16 carry handle type groove into a scope mount I had for a #4 Enfield and mounted my ACOG on the .303. I only shot it that way twice, scope bruise... GI1

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
One thing about mounting scopes on the AR is that if the scope has long ER, you have to mount it quite forward of the receiver due to the way your head positions on the stock. I have no experience with the ACOG but I can understand how the short ER wouldn't be as much of an issue on the AR. For other platforms, I can see the problem.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Nose to charging handle is how I was taught to shoot, so the ACOG fits the bill better than anything else. However, I couldn't imagine putting it on a non-AR platform.

·
Registered
963 Posts
The 3x and lower powered ACOGs may have enough eye relief to be useful on the M14 platform, but you have to work at it. My current LW set-up:

Works in the rain with a little inner tube help...:

Going on two+ years with the little TA33 on an M1A. May tweak it a little down the road just because I can't leave well enough alone, but it's been quite acceptable so far.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
The ACOG TA-11 has the best eye relief but is slightly larger in size.
Its the one I use on my SIG 556 series rifles.....

I looked at the other various ACOG scopes and was not pleased with the short eye relief of the compacts or smaller scopes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts