M14 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, went to the range yesterday to sight in my M1A. I just bought a new Redfield 3x9x50 scope.I have a generation 3 scope mount. The problem i am having is placement shots at 50 plus yards. At 20 yards i am hitting the target dead center. At 50 yards i am hitting nothing. The rnds are hitting 18'' to 20'' above the center of the target.The elevation and windage are maxed out, with no degree of minutes or angle left. Any Ideas? I've had my local gun shop set up the scope and had it bore sighted. There recommendation was to go with a more expensive scope. I don't believe the scope is the problem. Any feed back will be appreciated. I'm thinking of taking the rifle to a gunsmith.AIRASLT

·
Registered
45 Posts
How accurate is that rifle with just going with the iron sight? As for the scope. You get what you pay for. Thats besides the point. With your elevation and windage, count how many "clicks" from left to right. Now divide by two. Do the same with your elevation. Once that is done take aim at your target at 50 yards. Fire 5 rounds. See where they are hitting. Then work your way out to 100 yards ect. You can then follow your hits and make those adjustments. Also do consider this, do you have a "standard" or a "match" grade rifle? What type of ammo are you feeding it? Is it "NATO" or "MATCH"? Are you squeezing or pulling the trigger? Your breathing can effect your hits. Many factors to consider.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Check to make sure the scope mount is not tipped up at the front. Some M1As and certain scope mounts don't get along w/o some fitting.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
scope mount

I have checked it only by sight. It appears to be level. But i will check it with a level to make sure. Thanks for the advise.AIRASLT

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
IMO, it's the mount. I think that you will find that the mount is tilted DOWN in the front.

Because Springfield Armory Inc. receivers are not made to USGI specs. the groove on the left side that locates the mount can be off quite a bit making it difficult or impossible to properly fit a mount . Ask me how I know this.

Check out the Sadlak web site for a complete explanation with drawings. They will send you an inspection kit and instructions for measuring your receiver. Follow the instructions, enter your measurments on the form in the kit, then mail or FAX it back to them. They will use this data to machine a mount that will fit YOUR receiver.

The inspection kit is only about $5, and they will deduct that from the cost of the mount when you order it.

I started out with a 3rd Gen mount and had the same problem as you. They are not a very good mount.

I have been using a Sadlak mount for 6 or 7 years now and I'm very happy with it. It's rock solid and the service at Sadlak is outstanding.

HTH,
Rich

·
Registered
335 Posts
IMO, it's the mount. I think that you will find that the mount is tilted DOWN in the front.

Because Springfield Armory Inc. receivers are not made to USGI specs. the groove on the left side that locates the mount can be off quite a bit making it difficult or impossible to properly fit a mount . Ask me how I know this.

Check out the Sadlak web site for a complete explanation with drawings. They will send you an inspection kit and instructions for measuring your receiver. Follow the instructions, enter your measurments on the form in the kit, then mail or FAX it back to them. They will use this data to machine a mount that will fit YOUR receiver.

The inspection kit is only about $5, and they will deduct that from the cost of the mount when you order it.

I started out with a 3rd Gen mount and had the same problem as you. They are not a very good mount.

I have been using a Sadlak mount for 6 or 7 years now and I'm very happy with it. It's rock solid and the service at Sadlak is outstanding.

HTH,
Rich
Tilted down. You are right. My bad. Thanks for the correction.

BTW I have a Sadlak steel mount on my M1A M21 and I had to fit it to my receiver. After much effort fitting it it worked fine. Didn't want to pay more money for an already expensive mount. BTW I think Sadlak should make the mounts to fit an SAI receiver since the vast majority of the clones sold are from SAI. From the Sadlak web site it sounds like he could because he knows exactly where they are off. I think Sadlak makes some serious coin off of the fitting service he provides. If I had to do it over again I would go with a Basset mount. It is much easier to mount and dismount without a lot of fiddling around.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys for the info, A new mount sounds to me like a good idea. I don't want to spend to much time on the 3rd generation mount. It's a shame, especially when you spend good money on products that don't work. thanks again to all who responded to my thread, and good shooting to all.AIRASLT

·
Registered
9,820 Posts
Well first off, cost and how it was designed can be argued by everyone either for or against but I have personally installed the Sadlak Airborne Steel mount on three of my own M1As, a 10 year old loaded model, a 30 year old standard model, and a 6 year old SOCOM 16 and the fit was flawless in every case. The Sadlak mount has a strong reputation for quality as does the Bassett, each has it's own advantage and disadvantage but there will always be situations where the receiver doesn't match the receiver that the mount was designed to work on.

There are a couple of tricks to getting any mount to fit the best it can. Specifically, you need to tighten the screws by hand in a Round-Robbin manner, slowly and rock the mount back and forth until you can't tighten it any more. This helps prevent the screws from fighting against each other after they have been tightened. Then you finish tightening in accordance with the manufacturers instructions.

While you tighten everything you need to pay attention to the alignment of the mount as compared to the centerline of the bore. I use two small bubble levels and put one on the receiver and one on the mount and as I tighten everything down I match the bubbles. The mount's centerline needs to be level with the bore line and directly over the top of the bore line when looking from above the mount down toward the bore. The two places I put the level on the receiver are along the rail by the chamber opening (for fore and aft leveling) and then on the flat behind the rear sight (for left/ right leveling).

My guess is that fore and aft alignment will be off. That kind of misalignment can be caused by the mount not fitting the slots on the right of the receiver properly or a bent mount. One of the things that a lot of people overlook when they install these mounts, regardless of the brand, is the screw hole in the receiver not being properly prepared. You need to chase the threads out and ensure that they are clean and dry. Any crud in there will cause the screw to move under recoil. The slot fit is the key to a tight fitting mount that doesn't move. Sadlak can provide a fit test kit to help determine if your mount will work without special fitting.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Mount

I shimmed a mount on one of my rifles. A little trail & error and it worked fine.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Tilted down. You are right. My bad. Thanks for the correction.

BTW I have a Sadlak steel mount on my M1A M21 and I had to fit it to my receiver. After much effort fitting it it worked fine. Didn't want to pay more money for an already expensive mount. BTW I think Sadlak should make the mounts to fit an SAI receiver since the vast majority of the clones sold are from SAI. From the Sadlak web site it sounds like he could because he knows exactly where they are off. I think Sadlak makes some serious coin off of the fitting service he provides. If I had to do it over again I would go with a Basset mount. It is much easier to mount and dismount without a lot of fiddling around.
I think that the problem is, that the receivers from Springfield Armory Inc vary too much for Sadlak or anyone else to try to manufacture a mount that will fit them.

In fact, their own SAI 3rd Gen mount will not fit properly on many of their own receivers.

Rich

·
Registered
420 Posts
I use a B-Square mount that is adjustable for elevation. That along with a set of Millet Angle-Lock (Sp?) gives me both windage and elevation without having to use internal adjustments of the scope.

Have any of you had bad experiences with the B-Square mounts?

- Ivan.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts