M14 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the Polytech out to the range today after some minor modifications and was completely unable to acheive a good tight group. I have heard the good and the bad about polytech's but never anything concerning accuracy problems. I recently had the gas cylinder welded to the front band and put it in a Winchester NM stock. It also has a NM flash suppresor.
Everything else is stock polytech. I have it scoped with a Tasco Super Sniper 10x set in Badger 30mm rings. I dont understand, the crown is in excellent condition and the barrel is sound. I couldn't wish for a 3" group today. And the consistency was even worse. One shot to the left, the next way to the right. One shot up....the next one way below. Gentlemen, any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm sure it's not the scope mount being loose. Double checked that. But I have been sooting the surplus ammo. I've got a case of Federal GMM for my Remington 700, I'll give that a try next trip out.

·
Registered
7,544 Posts
You might check the welding on the gas cylinder. If not done correctly, it could warp the cylinder. Also check the fit of the NM stock. If it was bedded for another rifle, your rifle may not fit the bedding correctly. You may need to rebed the rifle.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, the stock has never been bedded to my knowledge. The welding of the gas cylinder could be a possibility. If so, there really is no savaging of the gas cylinder is there? It looks quite centered. I still havent had the chance to change ammo at the range yet. Weather just wouldn't cooperate today. I figure I'll start there and work my way up the troubleshooting ladder.

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Aloha in10se33:

A couple thoughts come to mind in reading your post.

Has this rifle been known to shoot well or better than what you were getting? Is this a new problem/situation or one that has gotten worse since the modifications?

Has your Poly been headspaced? If so, what is the headspace? And, what kind of ammo were you using? The headspace will determine what kind of ammo you can shoot in your rifle. If it is an original Poly bolt, you especially might want to have this checked before shooting .308 ammo.

Does the stock lock up tight on your receiver? And does the trigger guard clamp tight?

There are many things that might contribute to the inaccuracy that you were getting... barrel, stock fit, rifle mechanics... so it is really hard to say...

The Poly uses a barrel similar to the USGI type barrel and may or may not be as accurate as you like... I believe that I read that acceptable USGI accuracy was 5" or so...

I am confident that you will be able to solve this situation and get you rifle shooting as accurately as you wanted...

Aloha,

Tom O.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
Don't quote me on this, but I'm wondering if a standard GI stock might give you a better lockup (as the NM ones were intended to be bedded).

How did it shoot with the iron sights? If an M14 with a scope doesn't shoot well, the usual suspects are the scope or the mount. It's possible that the muzzle crown has been damaged through careless cleaning.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
in10se33 said:
Took the Polytech out to the range today after some minor modifications and was completely unable to acheive a good tight group. I have heard the good and the bad about polytech's but never anything concerning accuracy problems. I recently had the gas cylinder welded to the front band and put it in a Winchester NM stock. It also has a NM flash suppresor.
Everything else is stock polytech. I have it scoped with a Tasco Super Sniper 10x set in Badger 30mm rings. I dont understand, the crown is in excellent condition and the barrel is sound. I couldn't wish for a 3" group today. And the consistency was even worse. One shot to the left, the next way to the right. One shot up....the next one way below. Gentlemen, any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
I tried to utilize a scope on my standard Springfield Armory M1A a few years back and I had terrible results at first. I shot groups varying from 3" to 8". In the past, I had been able to consistently shoot 2" groups at 100 meters with iron sights with the ammunition I had been using. I finally figured out I was not getting a consistent stockweld without a leather lace on cheekpiece. Without the cheekpiece, you will not have a solid place to rest your cheek and consistently place your sighting eye in the same location. A consistent stockweld is necessary to get consistent groups. Several years ago a representative from Springfield Armory had told me I should expect to get 3" groups from a standard M1A if I used quality ammunition. If you do not have a match rifle, I would expect you should get the same kind of groups. Hope this helps.

CharlieD308

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.