M14 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a VERY basic U.S. Army M-14 wearing polymer stocks. I have had accuracy issues as of late. With the sights set for 100 meters, firing at a paper target at 100 meters from the bench, I am 12-14 inches high. This seems a bit extreme to me. The first time it happened I thought I was crazy and immediately picked up my Garand, all eight in the bull ring. The stock was on a bit tight so we loosened it up a bit, thinking that there was pressure on the barrel. Shot it again today, still a foot high. Shot the Garand again to ensure that it was not user error and the Garand was right on. I'm not an expert on the inner workings of the M-14 so at this point I will take any and all suggestions. Thanks.

·
Banned
2,325 Posts
Model or barrel length ? Some of the newer short barrels like scout or socom have had this issue with the height of the front sight. Is your rear aperature sitting still when fired ? Have the knobs come loose on the rear sights ?
Check inside flash suppressor for bullet strikes too, or loose flash suppressor

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
How many clicks UP of elevation are you using (from completely bottomed-out)?
Typical M1 and M14 settings are about 10-12 UP from the bottom.

The elev knob is adjustable and needs to be calibrated to the actual number of clicks needed .

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA

·
Registered
301 Posts
Re: Accuracy problems

If you're getting decent groups but they are just 12-14 inches high, you don't have an accuracy problem, you just need to calibrate the rear sight as Jay stated in his post. You can find the procedure to calibrate it for a 250 meter sight zero here.

http://www.m14tfl.com/upload/showthread.php?t=75177&highlight=zeroing&page=2

This procedure should get you pretty close to being "on" at 100 yds, but you can fine tune it for a 100 yd zero if you prefer.

·
Registered
279 Posts
What Ripsaw said.. typically rear sight coming loose would cause POI to be low and not high. Are you shooting off a GI bipod?? That would/could cause that.. or a damaged crown or bullet strike in the F.S. B2B

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. I will look into the flash hider as well as the rear sight aperture. I know the rear sight is pretty much near the bottom. It is all GI parts with the standard barrel and sights. I will post back after I have checked on the sights and flash supressor. Thanks much.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts