M14 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys

Is there a tutorial available that describes the proper approach to address accuracy issues? Something that provides a step by step process like "look at this first".

I recently purchased a used M1A Loaded in an Archangel stock. It is scoped with an SA mount. I was able to shoot it at my buddies 86 yard range. I shot four 3 shot groups with M-80 ball and all went into 1.1 to 1.25". I was happy!

I popped the action and put it into a SA M-14 composite stock and did some plinking and everything seemed good. I hit whatever I shot at up to the 86 yard mark.

Yesterday I put it back into the Archangel stock and started testing various reloads and some military loads for groups. The reloads were accepted formulas like 42gr of 4895 behind a 168 BTHP. The range was 100 yards.

I was shooting 5 shot groups. Out of 5 separate groups the first round would be near the POA and the next would drop and the last 3 would tighten up into about 1.5-". Most fell into a 4 to 5" vertical group.

I suspect my problem is with the way I mounted the Archangel stock the second time.

Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

FWP

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
Shoot M80 again at 86-yard to confirm the Archangel still holds the small group. Then go to the reloads.

If the M80 does not hold the small group @ 86 look for what has maybe changed from your friends range to now & your re-re-stocking the rifle.

·
Premium Member
20,801 Posts
How are you measuring your 4895 loads? If you are using a drop measure like a uniflow without a baffle, that would explain a lot.
Please describe you components and brass prep procedure. Trimming, sizing etc.

Reactions: DudleyDR

·
Registered
8,489 Posts
Put it back in a GI stock and sell the Archangel...
By the way, your 42 grain load of 4895 is a little hot for the M1A. Back off three grains unless you are using commercial brass in which case back it off two grains.
Am tending to agree here with the load at least. I have been shooting 41.5gr of H4895 with 168's in mine; does seem warm; will try 39.5 here soon...
Best 5 shot group out of magazine was shot last Saturday with 41.5 though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.