M14 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After having just installed a Remington 40XC barrelled action in the AICS I wanted to explain an issue I had. When I had initially recieved the AICS I had my Remington 700 varmit barelled 308 installed in it. Before getting a chance to shoot it-I was able to find and purchase a new barelled 40-xc in 7.62 NATO.This is actually meant for the National match 40-XC/KS (one hell of a good match rifle for competition I might add) The recoil lug on the action was literally .003 inches smaller than the slot that was milled in the chassis. This is a 6061 T6 aluminum CNC machined billet that actually holds the weapon in a "V" block-no bedding necessary- the 1/4"-20 action cap screws just hold the action securely in the v block-centering it perfectly-the slot in the chassis supports the recoil lug and actually absorbs the force of the recoil. The 700 just slipped right in and bolted up literally within 10 minutes. In the case of the 40X the massive recoil lug slipped perfectly into the slot but as a result the action cap screws were not perfectly centered. To cure the problem I opened the holes up approx. 1/16 of an inch and the bolts threaded in with no problem. Other than that slight problem I have never seen a more secure-yet amazingly simple way to secure and bed an action. With the V block the action cannot move laterally and with the recoil lug secure in the machined slot all forward or aft movement is eliminated. K.I.S.S. :D The stock with the barelled action plus optics weighs slightly more than 17 pounds. The thumbhole stock is very comfortable prone, the system has an accesory rail machined into the forend as well as mounts for a Harris bipod as well as the spigot for the (COSTLY) Parker-Hale Bi-pod. Of course the weather was 60 degrees and beautiful when I was putting the rifle together-today its in the low 30's and snowing- tomorrow-rain or shine I'll be shooting it. Just wanted to advise you guys the system is very well made and IMHO well worth $595. This includes a five round magazine that functions perfectly(with dummy rounds at least) and doesn't stick out below the forend. I also includes spacers that adjust the length of pull as well as a recoil pad. I did not opt for the adjustable cheek peice.

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Aloha LT:

I'm doing a Rem 700 build and decided on the AICS as my platform. Skullboy who posts here got my juices flowing a while back with his Rem/AICS shooter. I also wanted something different...

When I started chasing an AICS 1.5 it was smooooth! No Problem, but in the two weeks while waiting for new stocks to arrive, I was notified of the AI company going into receivership! Holy Cow, where does that leave me and my dreams??? So I started calling and looking all over for anyone who might have an AICS in 1.5 (new or used) for sale and available... but alas... I was defeated and could not find one.

Needing to complete the build, I went after a McMillan again... preferred a good but used A-5 or A-2 stock... which I found and secured with another member here of all places! YSUED with an A-2! While we did the transaction (which was one smooth transaction if I may say so... :lol: ) I was finally relieved that my rifle would be completed...

No sooner than I get the A-2 (which was exactly as I wanted), I see posts for AICS again available... GEEZ! Go figure...

Well I would have wanted an AICS 1.5 for my Rem build, but still very happy with it in a McMillan.

Thanks for posting that information on the AICS... it confirms what others have said about it being an EXCELLENT platform. Can you let us know how the rifle shoots in this chassis system? I'd appreciate it.

Aloha and Best Wishes,

Tom O.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.