M14 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a Mccann Industries Reciever mount on my M1A which I really like. However, the expanded capabilites of a full top rail such as the CASV-14 (Which is my top consideration) is really appealing to me. My only concern is that it will diminish the harmonics of the gun and mess with my accuracy. Has anyone had experience with a rail system Troy or Vltor or other improving or diminishing accuracy. I am more worried about accuracy than about tacticool or mounting capabilities.

·
Registered
10,378 Posts
I don't know about the Troy or the Vltor but I can tell you that the Ultimak wont be a problem, with one exception. I had to file the sides on my Ultimak to clear the top of the stock. Once I did that my SOCOM has been very impressive.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I have the vltor casv14. Its an awsome rail. Had some minor issues that were due to my m1a not the rail.

Now im no authority on accuracy but ill tell you this, i shimmed my m1a standard and had the casv14 installed. My groups went from 5-6moa to 2-2.5moa. My buddy who is trained can shoot it at a consistent 2moa. So take that for what its worth, not much but somethin. I no doubt believe its mostly due to shimming. The rail did cause my rifle to lock up better and make it a tighter package all together.

Here she is:

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mccann Industries Mount

I currently have a Mccann Industries mount and I am confident that it is rock solid. Will a full top rail give equal to or greater than accuracy compared to a reciever mount. That is my real question. I see at least two people have had good experiences with rails. Are there any sad rail stories out there?

·
Registered
207 Posts
I currently have a Mccann Industries mount and I am confident that it is rock solid. Will a full top rail give equal to or greater than accuracy compared to a reciever mount. That is my real question. I see at least two people have had good experiences with rails. Are there any sad rail stories out there?
wups, sorry about that. Miss understood the question. Im orderin glass for her next week.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Rails

Actually St33l 1096 thanks for your pictures and story. I'm shooting about 2.5 MOA now so if you experienced your group tightening up with the rail hopefully I'll have a tack driver on my hands.

·
Registered
10,378 Posts
If you are expecting a rail to reliably tighten groups then you are in for a bad surprise. If anything rails will worsen your groups, by themselves they do nothing to improve the accuracy of a rifle.

All I said was that mine didn't make things worse after I fixed the problem that it caused. Most often adding some part will cause a problem that you then need to fix, unless the part's purpose was to improve the accuracy; and even then some of those items don't work as advertised.

All a rail does is provide a place for other parts to be attached to, they are not designed to improve the rifle's performance, in fact, in some ways, all rails degrade performance to some degree. All rails add weight and a certain clumsiness to the handling characteristics of your rifle so putting one on is a balancing act, you balance what it provides against what it takes away.

Reactions: M1AallTheWay

·
Registered
92 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.