M14 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
10,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before beginning accuracy work, there are a number of basic negatives that must be corrected.

1, Barrel / receiver misalignment...... Flat flash suppressor sight mounting platform parallel with horizontal centerline of receiver.

2, gas cylinder and flash suppressor vibration or movement......upper splines should be peened on both sides in order to ensure a tight fit.

3, gas cylinder port and barrel gas port misalignment........use the tool..if ya don't have one ya should get one....also shims if necessar (although opinions on this differ)

4, op rod, dragging or binding.....check op rod for straightness and allignment. (Check op rod guide for tightness too :D )

5, Handguard interference....slapping of the handguard against the stock can cause changes in the barrel. Make sure that there is a clearence of at least .010"

For an in depth description I would suggest purchasing this book.....It has been extremely helpful to me :D

The U.S. .30 Caliber Gas Operated Service Rifles- a shop manual volumes I and II by Jerry Kuhnhausen

http://www.bookfinder.com/search/?st=sl&ac=sl&qi=9rJzenZDSRM1ho54prjaGkQ9rJzpaYja:329:630

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Hawk,
Another book supplier, Gun Show Books has just about everything you could want. Bruce is out of Wisconsin and does shows in the upper Midwest. Nice fellow. I just bought a couple of books from him this weekend at a show. You can catch him on the Web at:

http://www.gunshowbooks.com/home.html

If you don't see it on his web site it doesn't mean that he doesn't have it. Ask him for it.

Regards

Ox

·
Banned
10,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks OX.... Probably a good idea to put a link to gunshowbooks in the links forum. I'll do it when I get in from work.... :D

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Good Book!

Hawk, I just got the book and started reading. It does have great information. I especially like the section on accurizing and match conditioning. I don't see anything that I would attempt with my existing tools or on my own so it looks like I am back to "research" on parts and 'smiths.

I also noticed reference to our own Bill Ricca and Scott Duff. Cool.

Thanks for the lead and information. :lol:

Tom O.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts