M14 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK i finally got up the gumption to pick up an EBR chassis. I am doing the install myself and today i got the rifle ready. Last thing i need to do is get the op rod guide removed. while do the complete strip down though i found something that has me a little worried. my gas piston was stuck and after a little push it came free just fine. well while cleaning it i found some corrosion on it you can see a before and after a real scrub down. my question is should i just replace the piston now? i am more than a little excited to get the EBR set up going on my Socom but want to make sure it is all put together right. I have may other questions but those can wait for a different post. Thanks for any help

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i might have run 200 rounds off stuff through it when it was brand new. Have made sure to stay away once i learned better

·
Registered
979 Posts
I would replace it. You can get a new USGI for $20 or a used one for $15 or less. I wouldn't risk using an old one that is pitted up and didn't come out of the gas cylinder very well as you described.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I went ahead and got a sadlak piston on the way and a few other upgrades! I was pretty confident about installing the stock myslef but the more I read on here the more worried I am getting. Does anyone have a suggestion for a Smith in or around Seattle that might know some stuff about this install?

·
Registered
33 Posts
After reading the directions it seams over whelming but its not that bad but if you have small children keep them the HELL AWAY from you while you are doing it I almost killed both my kids when doing mine.

·
Registered
19 Posts
And read the instructions first! Multiple times, if needed. That helped when j did my Blackfeather...and in fact, they recommend it right in the instructions.

And of course, post pics when done :)

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Your piston is good. They'll all look that way sooner or later, even a Sadlak coated piston particularly if you shoot the older South African ammo in much quantity. If you've got the new piston installed just keep the old one in your parts bin.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I blew up your picture of the piston.......throw it in the trash and take a good look at the inside of your gas cylinder as well.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
May I make a suggestion regarding putting a Socom into a EBR stock.
I put a TRW/JRA rifle into a EBR stock. It has a full length TRW barrel. I went to this setup to try and wring out every bit of long range accuracy I could without going to a bedded wood stock. This scoped rifle is highly accurate at long range.
Since you have a short barrel rifle wouldn't it be better served to put it into either a folding or E2 stock. The EBR stock is about the heaviest rig going and was designed for scoped/bipod use.
Just my thoughts and 2 cents.
Regards, Mark

·
Registered
23 Posts
Does anyone have a suggestion for a Smith in or around Seattle that might know some stuff about this install?
Im stationed at Lewis if you still really need it installed. It's honestly not that hard. There's a youtube video thats all I followed and I havn't had a problem. Half the guys on here over think/complicate little things.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts