M14 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
10,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bill, About how many M-79 Grenade Launchers were made and what timeframe they were in use. Were they all demilled? Thanks, Hawk

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Sorry Hawk I know of no production figures, but I am sure somebody has done them. I do know the XM79 was standardized as the M79 around 1959. Contractors were Springfield Armory, Action Manufacturing in Phila, the same company that became Action Arms and imported the commercial Uzi, Kanarr Mfg, and I think AAI, Aircraft Armaments Industries in Cockeysville, Md, but I am not sure of that one. They were still in use in US forces even after the XM148 and M203 Grenade Launchers were in use. I know of National Guard units that had them into the early 1970's, but once the M16 came into the reserves, most likely the M203 was adopted.

The M79 was used in South America and Taiwan extensively during the 1980's and into the early 1990's, I know that because I used to get invitations from agents to quote large quantities of parts. As far as demilled, believe it or not, I have never seen any demilled parts for the M79, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen. Wish I could be of more help, this is an area that I haven't studied much.

·
Banned
10,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Heck Bill, ya gave me a bunch o info I didn't know here. I have seen pics of torch demilled M-79 receivers. Not a pretty sight :( I'd love to get one for a display piece I'm working on....someday :D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts