M14 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently found a SAI M1A that is in the 228k serial range that has all USGI parts..HR bolt, Winchester op rod, barrel, and trigger group. Shop says the rifle was sold by them to the guy that traded it in..they don't think he did anything to it and hardly shot it.

I placed it on hold for the asking price of $1600..

Anyone else seen similar rifles that have more USGI parts than expected in serials above 150k?

Thanks

Greg

·
Registered
188 Posts
I would be very surprised to find a SAI commercial M1A in the 228K serial number range with that degree of factory installed USGI parts (especially the barrel). If the rifle has its original "hang tag" indicating factory measured headspace, it might be interesting to have the rifle's headspace measured (with the HR bolt) for comparison.

Your shop really shouldn't advise you on what the previous owner may have done (or not done) with the rifle. They really don't know. It's possible the previous owner swapped out the factory's original non-USGI parts with USGI parts. With that said, I can't imagine him trading the rifle with the "upgraded" USGI bolt, operating rod and trigger group. I would have removed the USGI parts and reinstalled the original parts prior to trading the rifle. Of course, he might not have kept the original parts. Lots of possibilities.

Sounds like an interesting buying opportunity.

·
Banned
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree and it goes against what I would expect. I also don't care what the shop says, as I'm buying it based on the condition and parts content. I thought I read something on here about guys with rifles in the lower 200k range that bought new rifles with USGI barrels, but not sure and haven't searched here yet.

The rifle has some stuff added...3rd gen Springfield mount and generic scope, Harris bipod, and GI glass stock (selector area filled in, so probably done at SAI).

For the money can't go wrong I think and will sell off the scope/mount, use the bipod on a bolt gun, etc.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
The rifle has some stuff added...3rd gen Springfield mount and generic scope, Harris bipod, and GI glass stock (selector area filled in, so probably done at SAI).
I would be surprised if that cut-out was done at SAI.

Rifle sounds interesting. I bet it's more than just an SAI receiver assembled with USGI parts, but something that was actually built.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I have the serial so will call SAI on Monday
A good move. SAI will tell you right on the spot how it left their shop.

Before the internet or this forum I wanted a hunting rifle that was semi. The respected gunsmith I worked with said get a browning or a garrand type. I guess he did not like HK.

I got the M1A NM, I called them and it is Nelson build, all USGI. $900 new with all the extras. Wish I had the money for ten back then.

Call SAI and get the dope. Then maybe you have a fancier upgrade to bargain with?

·
Banned
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I actually went back this morning and looked at the rifle.. I was wrong about barrel maker (saw chrome chamber and no markings on op rod side..assumed it was Winchester)...after tearing the rifle down it is actually a USGI SA barrel dated 7-67)

The rest of the rifle markings are as originally posted. Parts appear to be in better shape than I noticed initially. TE and MW is under 1 and bolt face is super clean.

I suspect it was definitely built up with USGI parts, which doesn't bother me. I actually am excited about the SA barrel..last manufacturer I was missing with all correct parts on SAI receivers. Will be a fun build.

I didn't plan on buying another M1a..but what the hell..now on lay away..lol

What parts did SA make?

Btw..who used SAK op rods?

Greg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts