M14 Forum banner

Abnormality in reciever

2241 26
There is a small indent, about the size of a pinhead and not deep enough for me to stick one in, at the front end of the receiver on my scout squad. It's not causing any real trouble but it's got my worried that my receiver may have bubbles or other deformities in it. The gun is fairly new (Only around 350 rounds through it as of now), and I'm concerned about it's structural integrity. Is it nothing or is it something I should get looked into? This is the only such indent on the entire receiver (I combed over the whole thing looking for more after noticing this one) but I am looking for others' input
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Retired Admin
I lost all my firearms in the Rio Grande when the barge hit a sandbar and sank.
22,969 Posts
There is a small indent, about the size of a pinhead and not deep enough for me to stick one in, at the front end of the receiver on my scout squad.
And the manufacture of the receiver is?

Call the manufacture up tomorrow morning and ask them for a replacement? If you have that much of a misgiving on the receiver.

DI5

Reactions: 17947794

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's Springfield Armory. My fear is that, because it's cast, there are bubbles in the receiver. Very uncommon, but I don't want a hunk of steel blowing up in my face and as far as guns go I was always taught better safe than sorry

· Registered
2,282 Posts
Contact SA. The worst that could happen is they replace it due to warranty.

If you just dont care the worst that could happen is it could blow up in your face. Even though not even 1 single M1A receiver has ever had a documented structural integrity failure.

If it bothers you contact SA.

· Forum Jester
9,433 Posts
that's why you buy forged

· Registered
1,028 Posts
It's Springfield Armory. My fear is that, because it's cast, there are bubbles in the receiver. Very uncommon, but I don't want a hunk of steel blowing up in my face and as far as guns go I was always taught better safe than sorry
Devils advocate, if cast receivers unnerve you why did you purchase a SAI cast receiver. Looks like a flaw in the finish, not casting flaw. Shoot the rifle. Have fun be safe.

· Registered
4,744 Posts
Since this is obviously an issue for you or you would not have come here looking for information. Like others have said, get in touch with SAI and see what they think about it. After all they do think enough of their products to offer a lifetime warranty... So use your warranty to alleviate your concerns.

7th

· Banned
4,266 Posts
It looks like a surface/bluing issue, but contact SAI.

· Registered
16,777 Posts
Email the picture to SAI Customer Service, politely expressing your concerns.

I realize that folks are usually exited when acquiring a new firearm, but these are the kinds of things you look for before you fill out the paperwork and take custody of the rifle.

In this case, the mark is noticeable because the receiver is nicely finished. Original military parts are usually so full of tool marks that something like that wouldn't even be noticeable.

· Registered
5,077 Posts
Contact SAI - you will sleep better and if something bad happens the liability will be with SAI, not you.
SAI will tell you to send the rifle to them - once they are asked, they must full investigate. Again for liability reasons.
Probably nothing but why not put the monkey back on SAI.

· Registered
1,285 Posts
Looks to me like it could be 1 of 2 things. Either an inclusion, a small piece of mold material was left in the mold and it was cast into the receiver and it came out in the cleaning process. Second guess is it could be a gas bubble from the molten steel meeting the mold and having gas escape into the casting instead of out the mold. Either way in most casting operations they would just scarf it out, weld it up, grind off the weld and send it to finishing.
Bob

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.