M14 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Personal fighting knives were very popular during both WW1 and WW2. Many shipboard and land based machine shops had idle airmen and sailors making knives to sell for extra cash or for friends. In addition, there was a pretty big cottage industry in civilian life that grew up around selling or more commonly, giving knives to servicemen. This one is rare in that after all the custom work, the maker actually assigned a serial number to his knife. I'm aware of two very similar knives in other collections... but who made them is a mystery so far. The knives are made from a cut down and altered M1892 US Krag bayonet. They made popular fighting knives during WW1, but this knife was crafted during WW2. Most likely it was chrome plated for use in jungle theaters to try to avert corrosion issues, It appears that the serial number was stamped after plating. It's possible it could have been chromed as a display piece after the owner brought it home as well, we may never know for sure. The bayonet attachment slot and innards were removed and filled. The knife wears modified M1 bayonet grips. It's fairly heavy, sure would knock you loopy if you got socked by the knuckle guard.

Attachments

·
Registered
559 Posts
I have a hunting knife my great grandfather (Seabee)made while he was stationed on Iwo Jima. My grandfather (an Iwo Jima marine vet) gave it to me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have one made from a cut down Japanese bayonet and scabbard. Whoever did it did a good job of the modifications...

slik

·
Read Only
3,779 Posts
I’m guessing it would be chromed after service. I don’t know how wise it would be to employ a shiny object like that in the jungle.

·
Registered
200 Posts
My neighbor’s grandfather ferried soldiers back and forth over the English Channel. He traded knives for booty. They had a basement closet full of weapons, knives, swords, and a detailed diary of names, locations, etc.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a few trench art knives from WW1, American, British, German and French/Belgium. It took me a few years to get all of them. They are made of artillery round fragments. They were expensive then and they are more expensive now since these items are very rare.

·
Registered
79 IHC Scout II, 74 VW Bug class 11 look a like
6,649 Posts
I have a M1917 bayonet some one cut down to about 6-7" that I think was used as a fighting knife.
It looks kinda cool on my Norc 1897 trench gun...
IMGP3162.JPG
IMGP3165.JPG

1 - 12 of 12 Posts