M14 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of our Drill Sgts. was a great big black guy from Georgia or Alabama. When I say big, I mean when this guy walked up beside those steel GI bunkbeds he leaned over to put his elbow on the top bunk's mattress.

Anyway, first day, we're out in the road between the barracks all lined up and trying to figure out what the Army is all about while he's standing up on one of the PT platforms telling us how low on the food chain we were and how much he hated us because we were almost the same as civilians. Not really civilians, because we were in the Army now, but not really soldiers either, so therefore he hated us almost as bad as he hated civilians,.....

So he's up there lecturing us about our place, etc. and telling us how tough he was going to make it for us to graduate from basic training. Just as he's telling us that it's going to be so tough that "some of ya'll ain't gonna make it, some of ya'll gonna 'fall by the wayside'" one of the guys in the front rank passed out, fell down into the ditch and rolled to the bottom of the ditch. The Drill Sgt. looks over to his left, points a finger and says, "and there goes one now" and then keeps right on telling us how sorry we are.

I guess most of had never seen anyone pass out before and didn't have a clue if it was real, or staged or what the hell had happened but once somebody giggled, somebody else chuckled and then a bunch of folks were laughing and we really did get in trouble then. That was our first lesson in that other "rest" position, the "leaning rest".

·
"Death From Above"
11,642 Posts
Great story! I remember my first day on Tank Hill as though it was yesterday and it was April 11 1982. We were all just in from the repo depot so we had an idea of how to get in formation and march to the chow hall. As you know you stand in line at attention waiting your turn to enter. Each company was at it's perpective chow hall waiting. The drill instructors were running up and down the formations like bee's swarming a nest just looking for an excuse to drop one of us. You know the typical reasons ie screwing up one of your general orders or just the plain ol are you eyeballing me son? Anyway I held fast and wouldn't you know it I mDe it through my first day of basic without having to push South Carolina any further south than it already is. I thought this was a great accomplishment seeing is how everyone was sucking wind in the front lean and rest. I should have kept my mouth shut but what can I say I am from NY! Word got out and I soon found myself to be the first Sargent pet. If I was in sight of him he would just point a finger down to the ground he would not have to say a word. I would do my 50 and ask for this privates permision to recover and be on my way. Well there wore many occasions where he needed a foot rest while I was down there just to see how shiny his boots were. Yeah we used to get dropped for 50! I know today's army is a little different. I think the max is ten or twenty now at least it was in 1990. Soon after I became his pet project I was awarded a pet rock to add to my Alice pack. He found out I was going airborne and took great delight in whipping my 18 year ol butt into shape. Man I can tell stories about it like it was yesterday. I am sure all that were there can do the same.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
I know today's army is a little different. I think the max is ten or twenty now at least it was in 1990. .
This was not true for me in the summer of 1990 at Ft Jackson. Week one was 10 and week 2 was 20 and so on until week 8 at 80 push ups. I still remember that sillyness to this day.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
I arrived on Tank Hill ( B-5-1 ) in September of 1971. Talk about " green ", I never ran so much, and did so many push-ups as I did back then. When we arrived at the mess hall, we had to go through the " Parallel Bars " and God help you if you dropped before making it all the way through - more push-ups and to the back of the chow line to have to go through the same parallel bars later before you could enter the mess hall and eat.

I swear I pulled so much K.P. that when I graduated from AIT ( also at Fort Jackson - ( E-11-3 ) ) that they were going to give me crossed knife and fork instead of rifles! GI6

Also, one cannot speak of Tank Hill and Fort Jackson without mentioning those two other lovely hills ... " Drag Ass " and " Misery " hills. They were long, tall and sandy. A real bear when you were humping helmet, weapon and web-gear. GI8

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Good to hear

Good to hear and remember Ft. Jackson ! I did basic there was in new hollywood , but we marched thru tank hill to get to range's! we did have pity on the trainees who had to stay in the old WWll wood barracks. the "new" complex was brick and had all incorporated in complex the barber shop and px across the street on one side and training parade field on other side !
good times!

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U. S. ARMY VET

·
"Death From Above"
11,642 Posts
Trust me we knew what you guys had over there in Hollywood. We all wish we were there as well. I recenlty found some pictures of me on graduation day. I dont even remember that dude. I think I weighed 170 lbs wet. One thing I love was the blister bags. Man when we were marching for what seemed like forever and the water trucks passed we knew we were going to be able to down our canteens soon to boot every once in a while there would be big blocks of ice in the water.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
More info

Ahhh yes the good ole canvas flavored water !! being a squad leader and sometimes having to carry the unit guidons I could run ahead guzzel as much as possible and refill canteen before everyone else would get there!

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U. S. ARMY VET

·
"Death From Above"
11,642 Posts
Don't forget the occasional fire hose down. Did any of you ever get that? Better yet how many of you spent time in the kitchen grease pit? I spent about two second in it once. It was pretty close to the bottom and stunk like swamp butt when I arrive in the nastiest hole I was ever in. I lucked out. Someone on line screwed up the phonetic alphabet and I only pulled out two or three ladles full of muck. The dude that screwed up got the ol spoon to use to remove that crap. I remember standing on the pipes that came out the side of the pit praying I did not fall in. I can remember reading Ron Kovics book Born on the Fourth of July and he made reference to the same type of grease pit in Paris Island.

·
Registered
379 Posts
LOL great story M1A! Your story brought back memories of my first day of basic. This was at Ft. McClellan, AL. in 1989. We left the Reception BN and were trucked out to our company in cattle cars. As we pulled up to our company area, I was scared out of my mind (18 yrs old and first time away from home). I took solace in the fact that my Recruiter had assured me that the drills could no longer touch you or make you do more than 10 push-ups at a time.
Once we got there and "met" or Drill Sgt, he stood in the doorway of the cattle car and screamed at us all to get out and don't touch him, but he was standing in the doorway. We all stood there and got yelled at even more. The first kid who got out bumped into him and knocked his hat off. He grabbed the kid and threw him down, screaming at him the whole time, telling him "you're gonna do push-ups til I'M tired!!" So, in the first 5 mins of basic I realised my recruiter was full of s**t...

Motown out

ARMY1

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's what recruiters do. Meet their quota, or they don't stay recruiters.

While I was at Ft. Jackson I saw/heard:
1. Drill Sgts. cussing people out (that doesn't hurt)
2. Drill Sgts. threatening to do bodily harm (that doesn't hurt)
3. My first day the Drill Sgt. grabbed up my (to me anyway) meticulously set up foot locker and dumped it and it's contents upside down on the floor (that pissed me off, but who's going to say/do anything about it GI6
4. I saw a Drill Sgt. knock a wall locker into a window and break the window and then he grabbed the bottom of the wall locker and threw the locker out the window (2nd story and he didn't look to see if anyone was out there or if he hit anyone - he just sent some guys down to clean up the mess once he was tired of shouting and cussing).
5. I saw a Drill Sgt. yank a mattress (with the trainee still on it) completely off the top bunk into the floor when he came through and caught someone sleeping in their bed prior to lights out - saw it twice
6. A group of us were put down for pushups in our class A uniforms in the mud because one guy was smoking a cigarette (not me but I was sufficiently close to the guy to catch some of the blame). Took quite a while of drying off, dry brushing, lightly wetting and brushing, etc. the bottom front of the blouse to get the mud out/off.
7. Drill Sgts. climb up on the roof of the mess hall to catch trainees coming out without their hats on so they could be put down for push ups (Drill Sgt. Poer believed there was an extra "rest" position, the leaning rest, and he enjoyed acquainting trainees with it).
8. I saw three guys carry a (slightly??) injured trainee back to his bunk at the barracks after a Drill Sgt. had struck him with an M16 lower receiver group at the end of the cycle (they had carried on a verbal contest most of the cycle with the trainee getting the opportunity to build up his arm and shoulder muscle groups on an almost daily basis as punishment for being unwilling to stop that verbal contest.
9. I saw one of the most unique ways of stopping fighting in the ranks that I've ever heard/seen (I'll describe it in a separate post).
10. I saw a groups of guys who had signed up from home to go AIRBORNE get badly screwed over at the end of the cycle and then have to make a decision that was pretty tough to make and may have ruined their life long friendship (no one told them - up until the time of the end of cycle pass/fail PT test - that the airborne PT test was different so they had not practiced the different parts/exercises on that PT test. Several of them failed and were told they'd be reassigned to "straight-leg" infantry outfits. Man, some of those guys were crying (they'd been buddies all through high school and had gone in on that buddy system thing they had back then and had all been promised they'd go to the same training, the same unit, etc.) and some of them ended up going to different units.

Would I do it again? Hell no. But I'm glad I did it once.

·
Registered
94 Posts
My Tank Hill memory

DISHOUTFt Jackson,1970.

The entire company was doubletiming up the hill through the sugar sand. Drill Sergeants were busy screaming and passing out the regulation 50 pushups to those who had fallen out. Being a young buck full of himself and not to smart, I broke formation and ran all the way to the top. I was sucking air and feeling cocky waiting for the company to arrive. As my platoon passed by Drill Sergeant Custer, never looking at me, just yelled " Drop and give me fifty for breaking formation!" I was still cocky afterwards but also a little smarter.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
DISHOUTFt Jackson,1970.

The entire company was doubletiming up the hill through the sugar sand.
Would that have been "Drag-Ass" or "Misery" hill?? GI6

·
Registered
94 Posts
Too many years ago, but yeah I believe it was Drag-Ass hill.
We lived in the old WWII barracks also. Two guys in the platoon rotated each night keeping the boilers going. They were exempt from any other extra duty. The water in the butt cans still froze at night though.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Too many years ago, but yeah I believe it was Drag-Ass hill.
We lived in the old WWII barracks also. Two guys in the platoon rotated each night keeping the boilers going. They were exempt from any other extra duty. The water in the butt cans still froze at night though.
I know exactly what you are talking about. I got to Tank Hill ( B-5-1) in September of 1971, and was there until just before 1972.

Being originally from Ohio, I never knew it got cold in South Carolina until we went out for our bivouac. The temperature dropped down to the freezing point. GI8

I sat out in the boonies wondering just what in the Sam Hill was I doing out there!! GI9

Then, on our hike back to Tank Hill, the temperature warmed up into the upper 60's / lower 70's and we sweat our butts off in our long underwear.

When we finally stopped for a break, we all stripped off our pickle suits, then stripped off the longjohns and threw them into the woods.

It looked like it had snowed there with all of those white longjohns hanging in the bushes on the roadside. GI6

As we approached Tank Hill, we got marched up Drag Ass hill and, even though I was 18 and full of "pi$$ and vinegar", I thought I was gonna die, but I wasn't about to drop out being that close to the end. :ARM34:

This is a photo looking at the very top of Drag Ass Hill. There is still alot more of it behind the photographer ...

and here is a "blast from the past" ....

Basic training area on Water tank hill Fort Jackson,Sc.

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/22888727

·
Registered
1 Posts
Basic Training June-Aug 1983. I have vivid memories of Tank Hill and of course "drag ass hill". I remember staying in the old barracks and hearing our DI's telling us how good those in hollywood had it. I remember the mess halls on the hill and welcomed kp as a break in the action. And man was it hot! As someone said those forced marches to the rifle ranges were brutal and the infamous blister bags, dripping with their life essence, were always a welcome sight. I remember qualifying expert and getting to see the Guess Who in an open field concert. And of course the culmination of becoming a soldier, Omaha - the qualifying circuit. Low crawling under barbed wire and M60 rounds going over head...great stuff.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Basic training+AIT; arrived november 1968(i know i AM old), tank hill:eek:h my! And yes it does get cold in SC. E-10-2, the old barracks. Living proof: "enough" 3.2% WOULD do the trick...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts