M14 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, it IS a "SUPER" SP101, because it's both, a .22lr and a .22wmr
Had the SP101 for quite some time
The Original Owner had a Pistol Smith work it into the wmr and that's how it was when I bought it
A few weeks ago, I found a .22lr Cylinder and now I have a SP101 Convertible;
A "Super" SP101
The Cylinders aren't as easy to change from one to another as in the Super Single Six, BUT it is doable:

·
Registered
338 Posts
That looks an awful lot like my GP-100. The easiest way to speed up the cylinder change would be to buy a separate cylinder crane and install the spare cylinder on that. May need a few other minor parts from Ruger. It's far easier to remove the crane with the cylinder mounted on it.

Regards,
Badger

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That looks an awful lot like my GP-100. The easiest way to speed up the cylinder change would be to buy a separate cylinder crane and install the spare cylinder on that. May need a few other minor parts from Ruger. It's far easier to remove the crane with the cylinder mounted on it.

Regards,
Badger
It's not that easy
You have to take the SP101 all the way down (field strip it), just to pull the Crane anyway
And then the Cylinder just slides off of the Crane, no pins or other Parts involved
It just slips off

This weekend, I was going to have my Wife video me changing it from one Caliber to the other

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
"Super" SP101, the Video

Here's the switch from .22lr Cylinder to the .22wmr:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgCeBy5j1J4[/ame]

·
Registered
338 Posts
It's not that easy
You have to take the SP101 all the way down (field strip it), just to pull the Crane anyway
And then the Cylinder just slides off of the Crane, no pins or other Parts involved
It just slips off

This weekend, I was going to have my Wife video me changing it from one Caliber to the other
OK, watched your video and I stand corrected. It is a bit of work involved but certainly doable even at the range. I have not taken down my GP-100 in some time. My recollection was that the cylinder does not slide off the crane as your SP-101 does.

Regards,
Badger

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We took the Super SP101 to the Range
The 22 wmr Cylinder was what I would say was unreliable, about 75% FTFire on the first pop
But it did fired on the second pull
The 22lr Cylinder did ran 100% using Federal 550 Bulk
My best guess, the issue with the wmr was using the Wolff, Reduced Power (10 pound), Hammer Spring
So I reinstalled the OEM power Hammer Spring
Now to try it out with the wmr Cylinder again

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.