M14 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't had a chance to shoot my scout for accuracy yet, i mainly just shoot it for kicks. But I have just recently installed a bassett low picatinny mount and a vortex viper 2-7x32 scope, so i had to try. Im not a very good shot.

Rifle is an M1a scout, with some TLC done to the stock such as GC clearance, and clearing the hand guard. GC is shimmed, and receiver is shimmed for extra front ferrel pressure. Sadlak Tin piston and spring guide to wrap it up.

Ammunition was Radway green for 50 yard sight in, and then black hills 168g BTHPM and 175g, and Hornady 168g BTHPM.

Weather was garbage, 12*F and 15mph gusts. I couldn't feel my fingers, which actually might have helped because i had to actually think about what i was doing, instead of just feeling it out.

Also, a bit of a letdown for me is that my bassett mount shot loose. I didn't notice it until i got home and was cleaning, but it sure did. Just a little. I dropped some theadlocker on it this time and used a torque wrench instead of the tool. I couldnt get solid elevation adjustment, which should of kicked me in the brain, but i was suffering mild hypothermia at the time.

HOWEVER:

My rifle still shot awesome! Im super excited and impressed. I couldnt adjust elevation and get it dead nuts, but i was able to drop some impressive groups.

Hornady 168 doesnt like me, or my scope was loose at the time, but i was shooting around 2" with it. My last group with it was a deplorable 2.71"

Black hills 175 and 168, both awesome. Averaged just under 1.2"! A few were less, and a few were more. Definitely grabbing more of this and hitting the range when its both warm and and with a tight mount!

Im pretty confident that even with my poor shooting ability, i can hit 1" or better with a good day and some concentration! Ill also be grabbing a DWP cheek rest soon!

·
Resident Rascal
13,508 Posts
Looks to me like you're coming right along! I had my share of problems getting started also. Don't let it get you down, you learn more each time. But remember to have fun GI2

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Nice shooting. I also like your set up. Good report.

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Well done! Make sure you get that cheekpiece, it'll make a world of difference in ease of shooting the scope.

·
Registered
6,577 Posts
very nice!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Great report like your setup was that shooting free hand or sandbag, and was that 100 yards.I just put a bassett low on my SA scout any advise.I sighted in indoors at 25 yards didn't get loose but I only shot 10 round to get on paper can't wait to go out doors but its about 9 degrees out and the range is covered in snow.Excuse the color of the scope payed a couple of hundred for it so I went for it.It's a nightforce NX 3.5-15X50 will be black soon.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I've got cabin fever to go pop off some rounds at the range too. Gee, Koop, you shoot pretty good while you got the shakes. That Scout is tuning in quite nice. Doesn't get a whole lot better than that at 100 without some significant improvements.

Congrats!! BEERCHUG1

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I started at 50 to get on target (was about 6" high) and moved out to 100 for the targets pictured. I shot about 60 rounds in all, but didnt notice my mount was loose until it was too late. My elevation is probably borked. I always paintmarker my bolts so I can see if theres any rotation, so you might want to do that. Also, the instructions say you dont need to, but a drop of locktite probably wont hurt.

also, that was shooting off sandbags in a seated position. Im relatively positive I can squeeze slightly better groups out of it with practice!

My plan for this rifle was to stay as lightweight as possible, and to be accurate enough for my purposes. I set my goals at 2 moa, so these groups made me extremely happy. I was expecting having to bed the stock, stiffen the front somehow, or get a new stock altogether to reach my goal. I was pleasantly wrong.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Nice shooting, especially considering the weather you were shooting in.

I'm not much of a "glove guy", but I have found that the nomex gloves to be fairly decent....and protect my mitts from the cold without affecting the feel of the trigger all that much.
Another that works for me is the military issue glove liners. these are the newer version that is not made out of wool, so they allow me to stay just as warm, but have a better feel for the trigger. I'll add that they do not work as well as the wool liners if they get wet however.

Does your Vortex Viper sport the "dead drop" reticle by any chance, and if so....how do you like it?

I have 2 different types of Bassett mounts, but have not had one shoot loose on me yet. Hope your issue with yours is solved now.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Update:

Went shooting today, re-zeroed my scope using Radway. After getting dead center at 50 yards (with about 2" groups on average) I went to 100.

I had only 10 rounds of 168 black hills, and 10 rounds of hornady 168. So I cheated and dropped to 3 shot groups instead of 5.

Hornady: 1.238, 1.808, and 1.514

BH: 0.83(4 shot), 0.785(!!), and uhh, a 2.4 inch group that confused me. The first two shots went way low, and after that the next 8 were dead nuts. I may have pulled them but i dont think so, i dry fired probably 50 times before shooting each group.

Also, The radway shoots 4" lower than both the hornady and BH for some reason. When i went to 100 initially i was super high. Dialed back to center, and was fine for the "good ammo" Going back to radway afterwards I was hitting 4" low again. I didnt think it would make that much of a difference.

Still no cheek piece, but Im extremely pleased with with rifle right about now.

Yes, i have the vortex with the BDC. The subtentions for 200-500 hashes are 1.5 moa, 4.5moa, 7.5moa, and 11moa. As far as i can tell from ballistic tables it should be pretty damn close to 168g .308. The furthest Ive gone is 100 yards, so i haven't actually be able to use it yet. Sadly.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Update:

B
Also, The radway shoots 4" lower than both the hornady and BH for some reason. When i went to 100 initially i was super high. Dialed back to center, and was fine for the "good ammo" Going back to radway afterwards I was hitting 4" low again. I didnt think it would make that much of a difference.

Heavier bullet=flatter trajectory=range dependent

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Bassett

The trick on the Bassett staying tight is to have the threaded receiver receptacle for the single screw, bone dry. No lube. If you've cleaned the weapon recently, there's a good chance you have lube or grease of some kind of slippery on the threads. Use some alcohol on the threads for both the receiver and the Bassett. Won't shoot loose anymore.
Don't use lock-tight!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Nice groupings! Looks like a a good shooter.

Yes, i have the vortex with the BDC. The subtentions for 200-500 hashes are 1.5 moa, 4.5moa, 7.5moa, and 11moa. As far as i can tell from ballistic tables it should be pretty damn close to 168g .308. The furthest Ive gone is 100 yards, so i haven't actually be able to use it yet. Sadly.
As for the scope I have two of them. One is my 3gun scope and the other resides on my M1A for DMR matches. I'm extremely pleased with how these have performed in competition. The best price currently is at SWFA and it's a steal for the quality of this optic. Vortex is an upcoming company in the optics market with good quality at a fair price.

I did get to shoot mine over the Xmas Holiday at range and confirmed my load with the substentions. My scope is zeroed at 300yds and my substensions are:
0.0MOA = 300yds
1.5MOA = 325yds
4.5MOA = 375yds
7.5MOA = 430yds
11.0MOA = 500yds

168gr SMK over 41.5gr H4895 in LC brass Win primers.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
jens5:

thanks for the tip. when i put my basset on i oiled all over the receiver and screw. now i know. thanks.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I may have had some grease seeping around the threads, i did clean it with hoppes and a q-tip before i installed the mount, but i wasnt very meticulous with it.

I was having a hard time choosing a scope, but im pleased with the vortex. 400$msrp scope for 160? Ill take it!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts