M14 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a Winchester Garand from a private owner.
Its a LEAD Letterkenny 1965 rebuild

It is a rifle that falls in the group of duplicate serial numbers, notice the "A" at the end of the serial

Letterkenny rebuild triangle ink stamp on grip

Unfortunatly there are alot of dents on the stock, looks as though other rifles were stacked on top of it. I'm not going to mess with them as I want to keep the original color to the stock
Marlin 1953 barrel, MW .5 TW 1

Rifle looks to have been fired very little since rebuild as there is no wear to the park on the bolt and very little wear to the finish on the Op Rod

Hopefully the weather will break here in Ohio so I can get her to the range, should be a good shooter

·
Retired
4,768 Posts
Looks good!!! Now explain to me about the A after the serial number. Did they run into the serial number block for SA, or vice versa?
Range report is anxiously being waited for.GI1

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not 100% sure who ran into whos serial block. I think Winchester ran into SA's ? This is new to me I am still learning.Never really gave it alot of thought until I got this rifle.
Not all rifles will have a mark on the reciver to show its a duplicate. The way I understand they would only be marked if there were two rifles with the same serial stored at the same location. This would make sense as there are duplicate serial rifles that are not marked.
I have seen the "A" etched after the serial and also under it.
If anyone can shed any light on the subject I would like to hear it

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
The rifle looks great...I didn't know about serial numbers running into other makes of M1's.

·
Super Moderator
11,171 Posts
The letter A after the ser # means that at that armory there was another weapon with the same ser # stored at the same location, could have been another M1 or even a 03, I have seen this on a few M1's but not on pistols.

Great looking rifle, my 5.91 12/65 LEAD M1 has a ghostly almost silver park how is your? and you need to be carefull of the inked triangle under the pistol grip over the years mine has vanished into a few broken ink specs my stock is a Overton Burch relacement that was ding free.

Your barrel is a Marlin aka Blue Marlin, should make for a great shooter, your stock looks very dark from the pics is it Burch or Walnut? maybe some Murphy's Oil Soap in a hard too see area and check too see if it removes any of the stocks patina.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pics dont show it as so but yes its is the silvery color park that 60's rebuilds are know for

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Nice!! Congrats on the new stick, let us know how she shoots.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
maybe some Murphy's Oil Soap in a hard too see area and check too see if it removes any of the stocks patina.
Yes its birch with the original dark stain they used. I dont want to strip it as I will loose the triangle Letterkenny ink stamp

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
This reminds me of a Forks of the Delaware gun show circa 1995-97 at Fort Washington, Pa. The GCA and its members were invited to sell/display at those shows.

I was walking around and I saw two M1's (which in my mind were no big deal) attached to an upright display board, aimed at each other. From a distance they look like they had been rebuilt a few times and had no collectible characteristics. I was not impressed.

As I approached the table I was able to read the sign. It showed both an SA and a Winchester, with the exact same serial number, on display.

Now I was really impressed. There are dozens of individuals with M1's with consecutive serial numbers, but this match was the only one I have ever seen.

Imagine how hard it is to find the identical serial number made by both makers. My mind changed to it being one of the best displays at the show. Something I will never forget.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mr Ricca
Any idea who ran into whos serial number block?
Also whats the story on these arsenal 1960 rebuilds. What was the push in the 60's for rebuilding Garands?
Thanks

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Any idea who ran into whos serial number block?
No I don't. I have never researched rifles.

Also whats the story on these arsenal 1960 rebuilds. What was the push in the 60's for rebuilding Garands?
I do not understand these questions. I know the National Guard still had Garands all the way to the very early 1970's, so rebuilding was a requirement.

As far as Letterkenny, I have researched Letterkenny's storage, packing, markings and issuance of cleaning equipment and other accessories but rifles is one area I stay away from. Dozen of guys have studied rifle production. Nobody has studied accessory's production.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
With the developement of the M16 and M14 , I couldnt understand why they were rebuilding Garands?

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
I can give you some information on that question. As stated the National Guard was using Garands until sometime in the early 1970's.

Another factor many are not aware of:

Back circa 1975 a dealer friend called me and told me if I had 1918A2 BAR bipods or flash hiders, to hold onto them because RIA had just found a few thousand 1918 BAR's in storage and would be looking to purchase these items, to upgrade the BAR's. (Later on it became illegal for the government to purchase surplus items, but is a different story for a different time). I did not have any, but RIA modified the 1918's into 1918A2's. About two years later my same friend got them in a scrap metal bid, loaded into 2 railroad Gondola Cars, also filled with M2 and M3 Aircraft .50 BMG's. The altered BAR's were brand new, and were cut up in three pieces along with the 50 BMG's. It is just one example (I have many) of the insane spending of Defense Funds, only to have to destroy the items later. (My dealer friend made a fortune with the scrap bid).

The facts were (I do not know about today) when Ordnance found firearms in storage, the firearms had to be upgraded to the latest version, and certain percentages of spare parts had to be in inventory to support those firearms. That is one reason why you will find contracts for spare parts/accessories well beyond the use of that obsolete item.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Letter kenny rebuilds are nice! The did the best park jobs nice and smooth!My letter kenny has a 63 barrel on it and she shoots.She is my favorite m1. Just dont tell the other 11in the safe I said that. LOL

1 - 16 of 16 Posts