M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Banned
10,629 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"A Marine is a Marine. I set that policy two weeks ago - there's no such thing as a former Marine. You're a Marine, just in a different uniform and you're in a different phase of your life. But you'll always be a Marine because you went to Parris Island, San Diego or the hills of Quantico. There's no such thing as a former Marine."

Commandant of the Marine Corps, General James F. Amos

·
Registered
690 Posts
Motivating!
Mc1exprt1

·
Rest in Peace Federal
10,217 Posts
I've been say that since 19 and 64. MCORPS1 Ooooh rahhhh

-

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Hawk, Sir!

Every Marine I have met is a "Proud Marine" for good reason, and deserve all the respect we can give them, may God bless and protect them all. Thank you, Sir! Respectfully, Easy

·
Registered
520 Posts
Sometimes when I'm alone I think back to them days and cannot believe I did it. Daly, Basilone, Puller, Hathcock and many others. We stood among Giants.MC1

Siefly

·
Registered
326 Posts
Siefly-
How right you are. We stood in their place, we stood alongside them in our time.

I still think of those years and am satisfied.

Don

·
Registered
727 Posts
Well said. And we all know that CMC is never wrong.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have small daughters and it is with great pride in God, Country, Corps when I explain what the men in the "blues" have done, do, and will do for our United States of America!

May God bless them ALL!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Sometimes when I'm alone I think back to them days and cannot believe I did it. Daly, Basilone, Puller, Hathcock and many others. We stood among Giants.MC1

Siefly
We did what we had to back then, not knowing anyone would ever remember anything we did. God knows we didn't want to remember most of it our selves and today I still don't remember most of it. But the one thing I do remember was I WAS A MARINE AND AM DAMN PROUD OF IT. Today I wear jeans and sit on my boat, but in my heart I am still a Marine!
Semper Fi to all our brothers and sisters

·
Registered
158 Posts
I was at my nieces for Christmas when an elderly gentleman (her neighbor) stopped by to offer holiday wishes and what-not (really just lookin for a piece of pie and coffee LOL). I introduced myself and somehow the discussion revealed his being a MARINE. I told him I was also a MARINE, and it was like we were all of a sudden related. The rest of the gathering noticed how we connected, even though we had just met.

This is something many do not understand, (those who have not served) regardless of which branch, but there is a tighter bond among MARINES, and something I hold dear.

The conversation with the old MARINE left me in awe, to be in the presence of a man that had enlisted at seventeen (he lied about his age at enlistment), and had served in every battle of the island hopping campagin of the Pacific in WWII. I offered my thanks for his service, and was HONORED to shake his hand, and took pride that I could be a part of the same brotherhood, a MARINE.

SEMPER FI

·
Registered
194 Posts
I agree with him except the part where he says "you went to Parris Island, San Diego or the hills of Quantico." After having just read 2 books about the fight out of the Chosen, "Give me Tomorrow and The Last Stand of Fox Company" I found many of the Marines who were sent there were reservists who hadn't been to boot camp. I would consider them as much of Marines as any of us who did.

Just my opinion. Semper Fi

·
Registered
784 Posts
Here's what I think !

I agree with him except the part where he says "you went to Parris Island, San Diego or the hills of Quantico." After having just read 2 books about the fight out of the Chosen, "Give me Tomorrow and The Last Stand of Fox Company" I found many of the Marines who were sent there were reservists who hadn't been to boot camp. I would consider them as much of Marines as any of us who did.

Just my opinion. Semper Fi
I never ever knew of a reservist who was not at boot camp , as the ones in my platoon at boot were always pointed out by the DIs as they would never be called to serve overseas in Vietnam back in Apr.- June of '69 ! CAMOHELMET

·
Registered
194 Posts
I never ever knew of a reservist who was not at boot camp , as the ones in my platoon at boot were always pointed out by the DIs as they would never be called to serve overseas in Vietnam back in Apr.- June of '69 ! CAMOHELMET
You need to read at least one of the books. Apparently it was common in those days for reservists to participate in their units activities before going to boot camp. After WW2 we greatly reduced our military, including the Marines. When the North Koreans invaded the South and overwhelmed the Southern forces we were desperate to send troops. The Marines activated their reserves which included many who hadn't been to boot camp. I would quote from the books but I got them from the library and have returned them.

This has been discussed Sgt. Grit's web site to be found at
http://www.grunt.com/corps/newsletter several times.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts