M14 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Non-resident by request
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a large lot of old stock bullets, 1700 rds of .224 of Sierra,Nosler etc. But there also are 300 rounds of Sierra 308, 180 gr. spire point flat base.

I have searched the forum and found several posts advising to not use 180 in a m1a rifle, but it seems they were all regular m1a's or NM m1a's , didn't see any mention of using 180s in a Supermatch. Is there a difference?

Can I load this stuff (180 gr.) in my Supermatch (1995 Glenn Nelson)? And shoot it without causing harm to this Supermatch.

If not maybe I can trade it to someone who can use it in a bolt gun. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
11,173 Posts
A M1a is a M1a they all operate the same, I would look too trade off the 180's too a 03 shooter. my .02

·
Non-resident by request
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks...

Charles and Phil.. I did see the post that you linked Charles.
I recon I was under the impression that the supermatch has a heavier oprod and spring system that the standard or nm.

I use to have a nm and I don't remember the op rod spring being as stout as the one on the sm. The M1 I have has a really easy pull compared to the sm. Just wondering.

Phil, what you got for the 180s? give me a pm, thanks bob.

·
Super Moderator
11,173 Posts
Well its a old article, the 180 back in the old school days was a ok pill that did the job in the M14, better in the M1. Then Sierra came out with the 175 its a better pill on paper and in real life, so why beat up your stick?

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Well its a old article, the 180 back in the old school days was a ok pill that did the job in the M14, better in the M1. Then Sierra came out with the 175 its a better pill on paper and in real life, so why beat up your stick?
Amen!GI7

·
Non-resident by request
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
3 boxes of 180s for sale or trade in PX

Look'n for some 168s or so...or even lighter will do, got lotsa brass and need lotsa lead. Thanks for the advice guys.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts