M14 Forum banner

A left handed inspiration

1929 Views 23 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  spsosicmcise
I’ve been issued the m40a3-6, the XM-3, and the Mk13 mod 7, all of them great rifles in their own way and I enjoyed them all. As I get a little older I look back on those rifles and think about the one the felt like home. That was my m40a3. That rifle had over 6k rounds down the tube and shot lights out. I trusted it without a doubt. I’m sorry but the a6 just doesn’t do it for me, it just doesn’t shoot as well from what I’ve experienced.

Plenty of my friends have built or bought m40 clones, and I always wanted to do the same thing. The only issue is other than being born ridiculously humble and good looking, I’m also left handed. I’ve shot right handed bolt guns all my life because that’s what was available or issued. Only recently did I buy a left handed bolt action to try it out and I’m sold on it.

Now to the issue of the clone m40 rifle, I know guys go to great lengths to make sure theirs is perfect. How can you build a perfect replica of a rifle that I was issued, dump tons of money into it to make sure all the parts are right just for the bolt to be on the wrong side? The answer is you can’t. So that always stopped the idea dead in its tracks. It just seemed like a waste of time and money to make sure everything was correct when fundamentally it was wrong. Another issue i still don’t know the answer to was if i decided to track down a S&B SSDS after selling a kidney or testicle would there be enough clearance between the Illumination knob and the bolt/my hand when cycling the action? The other way to look at it is it gives me a bit of creative freedom to look into the possibility of building a rifle in the spirit of the one I carried, not a clone.

In my mind I struggled to imagine what a left handed m40 would look like. That was until today. I was searching the internet talking to one of my sons about the differences in the m40 series of weapons because he asked. I came across a for sale ad from 2019 on snipers hide that had a left handed GAP M40a5. My mind was blown, I had never seen one of these before. It didn’t look that crazy, i was surprised. It was a very dangerous morning after that because my imagination took over. I can’t get it out of my mind, so I sent that ad to my wife to start my IO campaign and prep the battlespace. She said it looked really nice, I think I may have won the first battle but it will most likely be a long war. Behold!

Furniture Interior design Machine gun Couch Wood

Furniture Picture frame Plant Wood Interior design

I’m not saying I’m going full speed ahead on starting a build like this, but this may have scrapped all the plans I currently had concerning the bolt gun I wanted to put together. Thanks for nothing Remington going out of business and making already hard to find left handed receivers impossible to get.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
2,636 Posts
A lot of my sniper/DM rifles I call tributes and not clones.

· Registered
10,990 Posts
I’ve been issued the m40a3-6, the XM-3, and the Mk13 mod 7, all of them great rifles in their own way and I enjoyed them all. As I get a little older I look back on those rifles and think about the one the felt like home. That was my m40a3. That rifle had over 6k rounds down the tube and shot lights out. I trusted it without a doubt. I’m sorry but the a6 just doesn’t do it for me, it just doesn’t shoot as well from what I’ve experienced.

Plenty of my friends have built or bought m40 clones, and I always wanted to do the same thing. The only issue is other than being born ridiculously humble and good looking, I’m also left handed. I’ve shot right handed bolt guns all my life because that’s what was available or issued. Only recently did I buy a left handed bolt action to try it out and I’m sold on it.

Now to the issue of the clone m40 rifle, I know guys go to great lengths to make sure theirs is perfect. How can you build a perfect replica of a rifle that I was issued, dump tons of money into it to make sure all the parts are right just for the bolt to be on the wrong side? The answer is you can’t. So that always stopped the idea dead in its tracks. It just seemed like a waste of time and money to make sure everything was correct when fundamentally it was wrong. Another issue i still don’t know the answer to was if i decided to track down a S&B SSDS after selling a kidney or testicle would there be enough clearance between the Illumination knob and the bolt/my hand when cycling the action? The other way to look at it is it gives me a bit of creative freedom to look into the possibility of building a rifle in the spirit of the one I carried, not a clone.

In my mind I struggled to imagine what a left handed m40 would look like. That was until today. I was searching the internet talking to one of my sons about the differences in the m40 series of weapons because he asked. I came across a for sale ad from 2019 on snipers hide that had a left handed GAP M40a5. My mind was blown, I had never seen one of these before. It didn’t look that crazy, i was surprised. It was a very dangerous morning after that because my imagination took over. I can’t get it out of my mind, so I sent that ad to my wife to start my IO campaign and prep the battlespace. She said it looked really nice, I think I may have won the first battle but it will most likely be a long war. Behold!

View attachment 477493
View attachment 477494
I’m not saying I’m going full speed ahead on starting a build like this, but this may have scrapped all the plans I currently had concerning the bolt gun I wanted to put together. Thanks for nothing Remington going out of business and making already hard to find left handed receivers impossible to get.
OH MY GOSH! BLASPHEMY!! HERESY!!! THE SKY IS FALLING!!!! ;);)

I'm a lefty too and while we wrong handed shooters are just as capable as any other shooter it's definitely nice to use a bolt gun that fits our disability. A few years ago I bought my one and only left handed bolt gun and it does take some extra mental focus to stop my bad habits to operate it, but it is less strenuous to not have to do extra movement to operate the bolt.

· Registered
5,438 Posts
Well, you need to place a WTB ad over on sniper's hide and see if you can snag a left handed M700 and begin the journey. The other constraint is making sure you can still get that kind of stock from McMillan in a left handed version...if I were you, I'd call them asap and figure that out, as it will likely be the hardest to find part of such a build. I think if you are still active duty someone might take that into consideration and try to help with with the left-handed stuff.
Good luck(!).

BTW, I recall that some Navy SEAL Mk 13 Mod 1s (300 WinMag) were made w/ left-handed actions, and some left handed McCann rails were made for them. These were of course long-actions, but if you wanted to build a "correct" clone, then a left-handed "M700/300" as seen below, or the later Mk 13 Mod 1 w/ McCann rail and NF scope is also an option.
(Mk 13 Mod 0 = right handed action, and the Mk 13 Mod 1 was the left handed action. It's the only left-handed US military sniper rifle that I am aware of...) Just an fyi...

Military camouflage Military uniform Camouflage Marines Military person

The guy who had all those take-off Mk 13 Mod 0 stocks circa 2017-2020 has sold out of them, but they are McMillan A2 stocks. (Crazynoto had some left-handed McCann "MRS" rails a while back, but not sure if he still has any, but they were a military part)
Wheel Wood Automotive tire Automotive exterior Gas

· Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I emailed McMillan, I’ll see what they say. Getting a receiver is the hardest part, mainly because I live overseas and have to time buying ffl items for when I’m back in the states and in my home state lest I break the kings mandates. It might be easier to use a rem clone custom action. Who knows still just a pipe dream right now.

· Registered
337 Posts
Call Chris Higgins at Red Bull Armory and see if he has any left hand Mk13 Mod 7's left. Stiller custom made 10 left hand receivers, they thought the government might request them, but they never did. Same thing with AI, they ended up making 10 left hand Mod 7 chassis. Since these were never bought by the government, a few people managed to buy these pieces over the years, including Chris Higgins.

Chris is a former Navy SEAL who later became a NSWC Crane armorer and "invented" the Mk13 Mod 7. So, having a Mod 7 built by him is very special, since that rifle was his brainchild. I'm not sure if he has any left hand Mod 7's left, but as of a few months ago he did. Shoot him a call and inquire about them if your interested.

This would be a way for you to get an actual left hand clone built from parts that were originally earmarked for government purchase. You also said you were issued a Mk13 Mod 7, so the lefty version should check all your boxes and have the added benefit of being built by the man himself. Additionally, AI is done making the regular Mod 7 chassis and Stiller is about to have their contract dropped (and they moved, no Wylie or Garland on the receiver anymore), so no more correct Stiller Mk13 receivers.

I hope this helps, let me know if you need Chris' contact information and I can send you a message with that info.

· Registered
337 Posts
The guy who had all those take-off Mk 13 Mod 0 stocks circa 2017-2020 has sold out of them, but they are McMillan A2 stocks.
View attachment 477514
I've noticed here and on Sniper's Hide you credit "the guy who had all those take-off Mk13 Mod 0 stocks" and include this photo. I'm "the guy," so please @ me when posting my photos. Thanks

· Registered
337 Posts
Will do, but don’t get upset if you get inundated with random emails asking for a Mk 13 stock(!).
Thanks man, it credits the photos and allows me to see discussions on them when they pop up. I'm used to the emails and messages. Even without being tagged on that info, people still message me asking to buy stuff that's no longer available. There's no stopping it, lol

· Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Fellas, I appreciate all the input. I’m amazed daily by the amount of knowledge floating around this board. Figures the military procurement folks wouldn’t ever buy a left hand rifle, to be honest if I were them I wouldn’t either. We left handed heathens have made it work for so long, and the good enough factor comes in and that’s hard to overcome.

· Registered
5,438 Posts
I think Crane has a lot more flexability than other military commands, and I guess it takes so much time, effort, and specialized training to award the Navy SEAL trident, that buying a dozen or two left handed actions for those elite warriors that make it though the training regime isn’t a big deal for the small NSW contract office. I think the contract office will cater to the NSW SOCOM guys as best they can. Good luck whatever you decide.

· Registered
56 Posts
I think you should go full ahead with the project. Even the most serious guys have stumbling blocks with projects, some things simply can't be replicated. If you think you can do a left handed build justice then I'd love to see it! Like RandomGuy said the first stop would definitely be to McMillan. As far as scope, you could do do an early A3 with the Unertl 10x. CMP is still cranking them out

· Registered
155 Posts
I'm also a fellow southpaw. I've always wanted a lefty M40 or M40a1.
Lat year I came across a 1981 Remington 700 BDL {lefty} in 308.
It's a great shooter! I would love to find a lefty M40 stock one day!

· Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm also a fellow southpaw. I've always wanted a lefty M40 or M40a1.
Lat year I came across a 1981 Remington 700 BDL {lefty} in 308.
It's a great shooter! I would love to find a lefty M40 stock one day!
Just email McMillan and tell them what you are looking to do. When I did this they said no problem and sent me a mostly filled out order form for a usmc spec left hand a4 stock. Then sell a child or a kidney to fund a proper scope for your project.

· Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Machine gun Air gun Shotgun Trigger Military camouflage

I got out the other day to zero this thing. I’m not gonna lie my savage 110 tactical has a better feeling bolt than this one. It’s pretty fresh, I’m still breaking it in. I swapped out the scope for a S&B because it was shooting like crap hopefully that solves the problem. It’s frustrating to spend time trying to zero a rifle just to realize it ain’t you. I though I lost my skill and was about to banish myself till I had someone else shoot it. Then I zero the mk13, rounds touching. The m110 is next, rounds touching. The more I shoot the a6 the more I miss the feel of the mcm stock. Sure it’s nice to have a folding stock and shorter barrel, I don’t know maybe I’m just getting old and being a stick in the mud.

I think for my build, I’m gonna call it a m40a50 because from about 50yrds it will probably look like an a5. My a4 was ordered with the inletting for the pgw mount so that will help give the appearance. I’m thinking about a few different actions. Outside of the nonexistent Remington, I’m looking at the stiller tac 30, some of the defiance actions, the Kelbly Altas tactical, or maybe even a Curtis Axiom. I would like to be able to run prefits so i can switch lengths, calibers when i feel like it. I don’t know I change my mind daily.

Looking at my a6 while I was cleaning it I don’t think you can run a S&B with a left hand action. The scope height looks much higher than the a3/5, and it looks like there would most likely be painful contact between my thumb and the illumination knob. As much as I like the S&B, I would need to do some serious convincing in a mirror to believe they are worth the money they cost.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts