M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've cover location and other supplies in other threads in the forum, so I'd like to limit this to M-14 type MBR's

I've long enjoyed shooting defensive style guns, but I tend to buy in spurts. I've had hand guns, bolt actions, shot guns, 22LR's, 5.56 carbines and 7.62 MBR's for 30 years. Didn't buy any for the last 20 years. I also never had an M-14 type until about 18 months ago. Reviewing things I decided that this was something I needed to correct as I came to the conclusion that when you considered stopping power, range, reliability, parts availability and commonality and cost this was the best solutions for a TEOTWAWKI weapon, the M14 was the best solution. It's also a lot of fun to shoot. I really like steel target, more than paper. I like the sound. If the world doesn't end, it still have fun for my money.

If you have one MRB or carbine and a good mag fed handgun, you are more prepared that 99% of the people out there. But, I'm an engineer by training and thought pattern and I can't help myself from taking a system engineering approach. I like to be prepared and have a variety of tools. If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail. And if your going to do the job, you do it right.

My basic principles:
1. Those who said that "two is one, one is none," were optimist. As the Soviet tank general said ,"Quantity has a quality of it's own." You want a variety both to have large enough quantity, and you want them optimized for various situations and uses, you want them to be able to share spare parts and you want to be able to swap and share accessories. While it will take awhile to gather your collection, but you want to get some quickly. {I got 4 M1A's for this. Can get them quickly and they are relatively good and relatively inexpensive.**

2. You want some that are extremely reliable as your primaries, since you can only carry one at a time if you are on the move on foot. I have 2 LRB M25's on order. One I order last since last spring I should have soon and an other in the TFL group purchase that's about a year away. The second I want to keep simple and light. The first I want to be long range in a JAE stock like the one on LRB's web site for my longest range weapon. That one I'll configure like this one on LRB's web site except with a U.S. Optics sight.

M25 RECEIVER.* KRIEGER 22" MEDIUM WEIGHT S/S BARREL 1:12 TWIST.* NM MODIFIED FLASH HIDER.* NM FRONT SIGHT.* NM REAR SIGHT.* NM UNITIZED GAS CYLINDER.* TITANIUM PISTON.* NM OP ROD SPRING GUIDE.* USGI OP ROD.* JAE CUSTOM STOCK-W/MOST OPTIONS.* BIPOD-GG&G #1125.*I can still modify this if you have any comments.

Some of my gun pics:

http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php?cat=16522

The basic four M1A's

The lengths compared to my M4gery:

Of the four M1A's, each was configured to be optimized for a purpose.

A:
The 22" Stainless loaded has a 6X ACOG on it. I've fired this the most and it has performed flawlessly. It's my home based, medium range weapon. The most likely thing to fail on a MBR is the scope, so I have the big machine gun ACOG that is heavy, but build like a tank. Tritium for night and fiber optics for day, so no batteries to fail. I can shoot from the cabin in any direction from behind stone from a basically a bench rest position.

B: A SOCOM with a tritium/fiber optic reflex Trijicon sight. Again no batteries. Relatively short and light to carry around the homestead. Good for CQB too.

C: One of my Scouts in a bullpup configuration with a 3.5X ACOG. Tritium/fiber optics again. Again no batteries. Also very high quality flip down tritium iron sights for backup. Very short for inside a vehicle or building. A good GOOD weapon for bug out travel. As you can see in the second picture, lots of stopping power in a package shorter than my M4gery.

D: My second Scout with an ATN 4X CGT generation night vision scope. For the first time, I relying on electronics and batteries. Normally, I keep this scope in it's case. And the case in three layers of aluminum foil and baggies. And THAT is a aluminum case. All for EMP protection. The CGT night vision is not quite as sharp as my AN-PVS-7 gen 3 night vision goggles, but VERY impressive quality still. The scope comes with an IR illuminator which it would only need in a coal mine or dark basement. I have plenty of batteries and other IR illuminators too.

I have about $600 in USGI spare parts per Gus's recommendation (Level 1 and 2 times four). I have M-14 tools, including for bolt work. I can swap the scopes between any of the guns.

So, what do you like or don't like? What would you change? What do you think I've missed? Can I stop buying after the LRB's are configured?

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
I set up about the same way but different for economic reasons. For long range a bolt gun rather then a NM M1A. I've a standard plus a Bush/Scout rifle. And for beaters I've two M1s convertered to 7.62 with short barrels.

HH

·
Registered
311 Posts
Paul,

It has taken a while, but I agree too. I have been gun collector and enthusiast for 30 years. I had everything from Flintlocks to AR's and SA Colts to Glocks.

In the last couple of years I have decided to consolidate and focus on exactly what you said by selling many "one off" types to allow the purchase of duplicates of working and SHTF guns.

Obviously the M1A’s and spare parts are on the list of keepers along with better optics and night vision for said rifles. In fact, my Bush rifle was the result of a trade for an original Colt Bisley in .45.

A good plan in my opinion.

HD

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
As you demonstrate, variety and adaptability are key in a SHTF situation. You seem well equipped and prepped.

·
Rest in Peace
2,058 Posts
My planning was a little different than the OP's. I always used ammo versatility as a guide, and have tried to limit the my guns based on the ammo they use.

My rifles are almost all .223 or .308, whether they are bolt guns, single shot, or semi-auto. And I have several pistol/carbine combos that share the same ammo (9mm, 38/357, .41 mag, and of course .22 rimfire). I have a good (and ever growing) supply of ammo and components in these calibers, and this ammo (except for 41 Mag) should be plentiful compared to others.

And I didn't mention a collection of 12 ga. guns for defense and hunting.

My weakness is the parts/repair issue; I need to work on that with parts and manuals. My strength is versatility. Hunting will be important and battle rifles are not particularly suited to some types of that. Granted, some of my guns aren't suited to a firefight, but I've got enough battle rifles to equip me and a few friends.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have more guns than just the M-14 type, but I consider those both the most important to keep firing and the ones that take the most time to get and configure and support properly. So, that is most of my effort at the present time. Also, the most likely type to be harder to get in the future.

I get nervous every time I buy something over the internet, so it's not only the knowledge FTL gives me, but I buy most (probably 90%) of my stuff from the sponsors here. I feel they have the FTL seal of approval, plus there has generally been a fair amount of discussion of the product I'm buying. I haven't been let down yet. I've probably spent $30K that way in the last 2 years. Stuff like the TNVC cheek riser. I have 2 and just haven't had time to even put the second one on my Scout with the night vision scope. I worried that a strap on would wiggle and not stay in place. But, the one on my loaded stays put and makes the cheek weld perfect for the big ACOG on my loaded. I got most of my parts from RAPARTS. My scopes and a Lieca CRF 1600 rangefinder from another sponsor here. Got stuff from at least a half dozen sponsor here with NO problem. That a lot of peace of mind when your buying a lot of stuff.

I'd also like to add to buy a shot gun with a good 30 inch barrel bird gun, I'm still lacking that. I'd also like to get another bolt gun in .308, probably a Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather SS (Stainless Steel). The world will hopefully muddle through, but I like the sense of preparedness having a complete solution gives me. And, the fun of shooting them now. I just wish I had time to do that more. Hopefully, I'll sell my company and retire in 2 or 3 years and be able to do more shooting then.

BTW, sorry for the poor English in my first post here. Up too late and maybe I spend too much time speaking other languages. Uncle Sam spent a lot of money making sure I could speak, read and write Russian over 30 years ago. I can also speak, read and write Italian and Thai pretty well. A few other too. Guess I need to practice my native language more. GI9

·
Registered
559 Posts
i am currently working on getting a pair of m14s for my primaries. i had a pair but ran into some medical stuff so i traded them for AR15s plus cash and came out on top.

the m14s are my favorite rifle ive ever handled or shot. they are a good all aroun rifle. that said, its also very hard to pass up the 10+ years and multiple combat deployments with my ARs. i hope to be as proficient with the M14 platform soon.

cant wait to replace my Loaded/Scout combo. maybe a SuperMatch/Scout combo this time?

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
On my semi autos, I very much prefer a pistol grip.

HH
For me, it doesn't make much difference. I have the pistol grip in the Bullpup configuration. But, if you like that so much why not go with the FAL,where it is native? Other than the sights and trigger, I consider it close to the M14, and both those thing can be largely corrected.

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
I have more guns than just the M-14 type, but I consider those both the most important to keep firing and the ones that take the most time to get and configure and support properly. So, that is most of my effort at the present time. Also, the most likely type to be harder to get in the future.

I get nervous every time I buy something over the internet, so it's not only the knowledge FTL gives me, but I buy most (probably 90%) of my stuff from the sponsors here. I feel they have the FTL seal of approval, plus there has generally been a fair amount of discussion of the product I'm buying. I haven't been let down yet. I've probably spent $30K that way in the last 2 years. Stuff like the TNVC cheek riser. I have 2 and just haven't had time to even put the second one on my Scout with the night vision scope. I worried that a strap on would wiggle and not stay in place. But, the one on my loaded stays put and makes the cheek weld perfect for the big ACOG on my loaded. I got most of my parts from RAPARTS. My scopes and a Lieca CRF 1600 rangefinder from another sponsor here. Got stuff from at least a half dozen sponsor here with NO problem. That a lot of peace of mind when your buying a lot of stuff.

I'd also like to add to buy a shot gun with a good 30 inch barrel bird gun, I'm still lacking that. I'd also like to get another bolt gun in .308, probably a Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather SS (Stainless Steel). The world will hopefully muddle through, but I like the sense of preparedness having a complete solution gives me. And, the fun of shooting them now. I just wish I had time to do that more. Hopefully, I'll sell my company and retire in 2 or 3 years and be able to do more shooting then.

BTW, sorry for the poor English in my first post here. Up too late and maybe I spend too much time speaking other languages. Uncle Sam spent a lot of money making sure I could speak, read and write Russian over 30 years ago. I can also speak, read and write Italian and Thai pretty well. A few other too. Guess I need to practice my native language more. GI9
You really don't need a 30 inch shotgun barrel, shotshell and choke technology has come such a long way that it has for the most part rendered barrel length moot. For birds from quail to ducks and geese I would go with something in the 24-28 inch range with my preference being on the short end of that spectrum to aid in swing.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks, I've never been bird hunting since I was about 14. Don't remember much. If I do hunt, my preference is pig with the compound bow. I seem to be a natural with a bow.

I have a Rem 870 in a riot length. Thinking about another 870 in a longer length. Any suggestions?

Keeping my money to pay for my LRB M25 right now. They should be calling in a few days.

·
Registered
559 Posts
my favorite do everything shotgun is a 20" turkey gun from mossberg, can get similar from remington too. its a 20" vent rib barrel that accepts choke tubes and has fiber optic rifle sights. i turkey hunt, hog hunt and shoot skeet and trap with the same gun. i can keep up with most average shotgunners on the trap fields with much nicer/more expensive guns.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Not a problem as I had added pistol grips to M14 stocks. Quite comfortable for me.

HH
Nice collection. I LOVE looking at the pictures. How heavy is the one with the folding stock? Tell me more about that one if you can.

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
The one you ask about Paul, its no lighter then a SAI Scout. Its a SAI Bush which was the forerunner to the Scout. Advantage is its more compact when folded. Disadvantage is can't get a good cheek weld with optics installed. No pic but its currently wearing a synthetic stock which I added an AK pistol grip to.

To the far right is a FEDORD which I bought new in 85 or 86.

To the far left is a Garand converted to 7.62 with a short barrel. Added a forward rail & Eotech to it. I really really like that Eotech.

Beside it is another Garand converted to 7.62 with short barrel & also configured to take M14 mags.

HH

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
How much have the rest of you worried about shooting at night in a TEOTWAWKI situation? I think after reliability this is the most important as I think you are most likely to be attacked at night. Of course I have the gen 3 goggles and the NV scope, but I am trying to get all irons tritium too. This can get expensive if you get the best. For my flat top bullpup configuration M1A Scout or a M4 flat top or, for that matter, any flat top caliber rifle, I like the Troy the best, but they are EXPENSIVE. ABOUT $310 for front and back. But, you just line up the 2 tritium dots on the back with the single tritium dot on the front sight, make sure they are ALL equally spaced over your target and shoot. VERY quick target acquisition. In a car or indoors, I'd simply take the 10 seconds to take off the ACOG on the bullpup. 10 Seconds to put it back on too and from my testing, it seems to hold zero fine. The Troy irons flip up or down quickly and securely. I can attach IR or visible lights on the sides, or a laser sight too. Lots of options.

Troy has some good pictures of the tritium fold down sights on their web page here.

http://troyind.com/ /battlesights/troy-battlesight-rear-tritium-folding

and here:

http://troyind.com/ /battlesights/troy-battlesight-front-tritium-m4-folding

Also, here is a close up of the tritium sights on my bullpup:

I've also put Tritium front irons on my other M1A's.

Has anyone found any they like better? How important do you guys think night ability is?

1 - 20 of 93 Posts