M14 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Managed to get out and do some pistol shooting today.
Took a Les Baer Custom Carry and a Guncrafter Industries No Name.

267 rounds through each gun for a total of 534 rounds fired.
No jams or malfuntions of any kind, with temps in the low 90s.

Doing drills, draw fire 2 of left target, then 2 on right target then 2 on the plate. All mags are shot to slide lock, reload and finish the drill and start the next drill with whats in the mag. Paper targets at about 8 yards and the plate at 18 yards.

The Pistols.

How I setup to shoot in hot weather.

And a couple of targets, these were towards the end of the range session. I was hot and I was tired at this point so I dropped a few.

All in all a good day, any day shooting is a good day.

·
Premium Member
Honorary Forum Lifer
16,439 Posts
Great shooting, Hgunner! Beautiful 1911s you have, I love them. Glad you had a good day out.
m14brian

·
Registered
7,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for the kind words, May was a blurr with a couple of extended out of town trips. A couple of weekends were spent bush hogging and this was the first weekend I've found time to shoot since mid April.

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
Your handloads?

·
Registered
7,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Your handloads?
Yeah 502 handloads, 5.3grns. W-231, MBC 200grn. SWC.
16 rounds Federal 230grn FMJ, 16 rounds Remington 230grn JHP.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Beautiful country out there. Plenty green, super nice folks and great chow. Back in 2005 I drove out there to Memphis, Nashville, Lebanon and to Union City. Loved it, your people really do extend that famous Southern Hospitality. Freedom is the key and freedom is what keeps US happy, friendly and safe.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Great shooting, but please don't practice shooting the gun 'dry'. Locking the slide back tells your assailant the gun is empty, it will take you a few seconds to realize it is back, it takes an extra step to get back into the fight, the mag doesn't get its initial 'push' from the partially compressed spring (it comes out much slower, and may require manual assist), and can obviously get you killed. dave

·
Registered
7,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Great shooting, but please don't practice shooting the gun 'dry'. Locking the slide back tells your assailant the gun is empty, it will take you a few seconds to realize it is back, it takes an extra step to get back into the fight, the mag doesn't get its initial 'push' from the partially compressed spring (it comes out much slower, and may require manual assist), and can obviously get you killed. dave
Discussion of this could be a whole seperate thread.
I am not a fan of the tactical reload for the average CCW carrier. I've been doing this for a long time and there are many different outlooks on this subject.
My point of view is I am not LEO, any encounter is going to be close, short and violent. If I have to fire enough rounds to require a reload it is going to be from slide lock. I do not focus on or care about counting rounds in a fight. I drop mags and forget them I do not let myself be distracted by worrying about something that I do not need at the moment. In my drills I do not top off between runs. I start with a full mag, if I fire 7 rounds the first interation, I start with 1 in the gun the next interation, fire one and reload, I let it try to become random. I have been at this enough that I can tell by the difference in recoil impulse the slide locked back and have become quite proficent at getting another mag in the gun.
I can also tell you about screw ups I've witnessed, half full mags dropped and disassembling on the ground, rounds going everywhere. Someone stopping in the middle of a drill to pocket or pick up his tactically change mag. I've also seen people stick a mag with 1 or 2 rounds back in the gun thinking they just inserted a full one and then being total dumbfounded when the gun went dry..
I believe in KISS, Keep It Simple Stupid.
To me consistently doing it one way and being proficient at reloading makes sense to me. Oh and I also do not slingshot or use the weak hand to release the slide. I use the weak hand thumb to release the slide stop as I re-aquire my grip after a reload. On a timer running against others it can be as much as a 1.5 seconds faster getting back on target and getting the next round off. Also, the only semi-autos I carry are 1911s, thus being consistant in what I carry.

Reactions: CAVman

·
Registered
106 Posts
5.3grns. W-231, MBC 200grn. SWC
My favorite load. Now if I could only find some 231 any place! Nobody seems to have any of the common pistol powders. This is getting old, I'm not having any fun, and my gun club membership dues are being wasted.

By the way, I agree with your shoot-to-slide lock philosophy. Doing tac reloads with retention is fine for games but when the balloon goes up simple is better.

·
Registered
8,520 Posts
I went shooting myself yesterday, an M14 and Saginaw M1 Carbine. Quite warm, but I was blasting away at cans, bottles, and clay pigeons out to 200 yards so I hardly noticed. Too much fun. One guy had placed up a white T-shirt target with ketchup packets taped underneath, that was fun too. Not too much in the way of accuracy shooting as after a box of 175 FGMM or so I was bored.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts