M14 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just received a few fun packages and thought I'd share.

First off I got some new accessories for my MSR Whisperlite International. This is a great little camping stove that will burn darn near anything flammable. From alcohol to jet fuel, you can use it for this stove. The only downside is that you won't be making any crepes or delicate sauces. It has two settings; off and blowtorch. I've had it since 1997 and it's still going strong. Anywho, I bought a couple new fuel bottles, a spare fuel pump, and an expedition maintenance kit.

Next up are two Feuerhand Lanterns from WT Kirkman Lanterns. These seemed to get better reviews than the ones that are made in China and are much more reasonably priced than American made options. I also bought a spare globe, fuel cap, burner, and a 33 ft. roll of wick. And of course lanterns aren't much use without fuel so I ordered some from [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004T4HRHW/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1"]Amazon[/ame] because it shipped for free!

Anyone have any experience with these lanterns. Any useful tips would be appreciated.

·
Registered
973 Posts
I just received a few fun packages and thought I'd share.

First off I got some new accessories for my MSR Whisperlite International. This is a great little camping stove that will burn darn near anything flammable. From alcohol to jet fuel, you can use it for this stove. The only downside is that you won't be making any crepes or delicate sauces. It has two settings; off and blowtorch. I've had it since 1997 and it's still going strong. Anywho, I bought a couple new fuel bottles, a spare fuel pump, and an expedition maintenance kit.
lol! I need another flame thrower!

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
For your lanterns you can use odorless mineral spirits, about $14 a gallon at Home Depot. But for really useful oil light you need to get away from a flat wick and go to a circular burner. Check out the Kosmos burner lamps, I would not buy less than a #15 burner though, puts out a useable amount of light and burns really clean. The Aladdin lamps put out the most light, about like a 100 watt bulb but use a mantel like a Coleman lantern which is expensive and delicate. The Kosmos burners use a flat wick bent in a circle, the #15 puts out about 60 watts IIRC and is low maintenance. Only problem is they also put out a lot of heat.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Make sure you dummy cord the cap on the msr fuel bottles. They have a tendency to walk away. I lost one in some snowy leaves in Korea and had to keep the pump in the bottle the rest of the time. It was fine but it just kept the pump exposed and increased the chance of it getting broken.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For your lanterns you can use odorless mineral spirits, about $14 a gallon at Home Depot. But for really useful oil light you need to get away from a flat wick and go to a circular burner. Check out the Kosmos burner lamps, I would not buy less than a #15 burner though, puts out a useable amount of light and burns really clean. The Aladdin lamps put out the most light, about like a 100 watt bulb but use a mantel like a Coleman lantern which is expensive and delicate. The Kosmos burners use a flat wick bent in a circle, the #15 puts out about 60 watts IIRC and is low maintenance. Only problem is they also put out a lot of heat.

Well you learn something new everyday. I hadn't seen a Kosmos burner before, I'll definitely be looking into those more. I did look at the Aladdin lamps but didn't want to go that route precisely because of the mantels.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I have many lanterns from WT Kirkman including the model you have. I love the Feuerhand. It's smaller than the #2 Champions plus they are made in Germany. They rarely produce soot and give off the perfect amount of light for watching a movie. I burn kerosene that I get from the local gas station for $4.99/gallon with no problems in all of my lanterns.

For bright light, I have an Alladin.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts