M14 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a just-starting ,novice rifle operator. I have had rimfire 22's in the past,
but my Standard SA M1-A is my first serious semiautomatic rifle.

This is my situation:

-I tried to load my 10 rnd mag into the gun, would not fit with 10 rnds. 9 or less fits first try everytime. I tried using Winchester white box labeled 7.62x51 nato, then same thing happened using Remington core lok labled .308 Winchester.

-with the 9 rds of Winchester 7.62x51 inside, I successfully let the bolt fly forward and chamber the first round. I fire, and the BOLT STAYED OPEN and did not chamber the 2nd round. I am a noob, and didn't want to further mess with it, so the mag comes out.

-mag with 9 rds of Remington .308 go in, I rack it, fire, and this time the BOLT CYCLES IN THE 2nd ROUND, but when I go to fire the 2nd shot, I just get a click. The firing pin didn't even indent the 2nd round.

I want to be a top notch M1a operator and will be seeking out guidance and further education on this, but for now, anyone have any ideas???

thanks guys

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
Have you taken her apart and cleaned her before you fired her ???? and have you taken her apart to clean her after you shot her ???

·
Registered
6,465 Posts
try putting the mag in with the bolt open then let it ride home on its own.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
The op is having cycling issues as well. OP, you need to clean the chamber and make sure the gas plug is tight. Grease the rails, oprod track etc

·
Super Moderator
11,238 Posts
Clean it, lube it and try again. Follow the instructions given above. It's good advice.

Also, on this board, avoid the use of the word "operator" if you want to be taken seriously. Many of us are older and we like to use the word "Rifleman".

Good luck,

Tony.

·
Registered
114 Posts
What brand magazine are you using? Did you get the rifle new, or used?

Avoid using soft point ammo in your M1A. The exposed lead has a habit of ending up in places it shouldn't.

In the first malfunction, did the bolt fail to strip a round from the magazine, or was the bolt stop holding it open?

The second malfunction sounds like the bolt was not fully in battery, and the safety bridge saved you and your rifle. The safety bridge prevents the firing pin from travelling fully forward when the bolt has not rotated in place.

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
SA 10 round Mags have a History....................
OP
Check everything that was posted above and try a different MAG!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Are there still operators? I don't even know anyone with a land line anymore.
Actually yes there are still operators, though few. Secondly I have a land line still as we do not get cell service out here in the sticks.

The men and women here are well versed and knowledgeable. The M1A and it's derivatives are somewhat foreign to us younger folk. And the kids here, well, most are just plain in shock to see that wood is still used on firearms.
As for the term "Operator" there are a few here in the military seance that an "operator" was/is a serviceman who served in one of the units commanded by JSOC and SOCOM. Mostly used for SEALS or Delta. All others were/are riflemen or REMFs.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
NEfootball85: Stop. Unload and safe rifle. Now, carefully look rifle over from flash hider to buttplate. Check the gas cutoff- is it all the way open, half and half, partially closed....? Answer should be it is 90degrees perpendicular from line of barrel-open. Check the gas plug- it should be just beyond finger tight. the bolt should be open at this point, so place a stripper clip in the slot above the bolt to act as a hold open. Take the 1/16 and 1/32 drill bit you've read about and insert one of them just aft of the gas plug into the little hole on the gas cylinder tube, carefully work it into the gas port in the barrel, you should be able to look in the barrel and see the bit enter. Don't force it. If it slides in, GTG. If you can't get it beyond the gas cylinder, and the gas cylinder piston is out of the way, stop. Find a gunsmith versed on M1A/M14, not the garage mechanic or local general gunsmith. Have him/her check for gas cylinder alignment. If it is an SAI, call them, they'll fix it probably for the cost of shipping. Check the mag lips for obvious bends or ripples. Good quality mags from 44mag may solve some of the problem.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts