M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When asked why I sold my AR & got an M1A, I can't help but consider that my M1A is better suited to a variety of tasks then any of the AR's I've bought. I currently live in AZ, but was raised in the Rockies on venison, bear & beef. Yeah, my rifle isn't the fanciest, fastest shooting, lightest or most tacticool, but for me it doesn't need to be that. I can use it to confidently take an Elk outside Glenrock, or a deer in the Uinta's. If need be, I can defend a family farm in Idaho or send a coyote packing (in pieces) out here in AZ. I do find myself ogling the latest lead slinging device every now & then, but truth be told, I just can't justify spending the kind of money I'd want to on an AR, when I don't figure on being taking down zombies or rambling horses of raiders.

For me, it is as good a "Do it All" rifle as I can get.
How do you break yours down? Is it more just for precision, defending the land, hunting maybe?

·
Registered
66 Posts
When I bought mine, it was intended for defense. About a year after purchase, my location changed, so I'm using an "accessorized AR pistol" for that task. I still shoot it, as it's "such a good rifle". No regret's getting it. A "solid platform" for sure.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I don't disagree that it's a do all platform. I really like how useful it is in Colorado where the visual range is often measure in miles and the animals are larger. Part of being a do all platform for me is fitting the bill of being a piece of art and craftsmanship, which an AR can't do.

I won't lie, there's room for improvement. I can't pretend it's a light weight and modular platform that is at home below 15yards as it is over 200. Followup shots aren't as quick either. I can't get a binary trigger or frt. It's got it's issues.

·
Registered
8,669 Posts
I enjoy both. Have 10 M14s (ain't on Art's level :)) and 6-7 AR15s. Just built a sexy 14.5" midlength AR. Pinned and welded YHM Phantom FH. Pros to building them yourself for sure. I'll likely keep building ARs moving forward due to cost. There is no natural pointer superior to the M14 though. She aims easy and hits hard. Different tools for various tasks, but when I hit the range I never leave without an M14. She's special and we share a bond. A bond with our forefathers and kin who proudly served in Vietnam. There's no finer group of men and I feel their competency and authority in my shoulder when fielding the M14.

·
Registered
276 Posts
For me, it is as good a "Do it All" rifle as I can get.
How do you break yours down? Is it more just for precision, defending the land, hunting maybe?
Tough one.
I've got two bolt action hunting rifles. a Rem7 and .300WM (inherited)
I got the M1A as a nice semi auto because I wanted something more potent than a 5.56.

If the SHTF, its my first rifle w the Ruger 10/22 as my second.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
I used to chuckle when those guys that talk about grabbing their AR15/bag/pistol and running off to the woods to hide/fight admitted they would be in the woods where the grizzly bears live/hunt/eat. Man, it would suck for air to be walking down a trail and run into a big bear with varmint cartridge rifle. On the other hand, I shoot an AR more these days than I do the M1A or the M1. Cheaper. And that darn coumadin sometimes leaves me with a rasberry on my shoulder from shooting a piddly little AR15. The M1A or M1 really puts an ugly spot on my shoulder if conditions are right (or is it wrong??).

I'll admit, up front, I bought my M1A because the US Army was just never going to let me take my M14 home with me when I left in 1979. I knew that, but I also knew I really like what I could do with the 7.62 NATO round in a good rifle.

Mine never was accurate enough to suit me and yet it killed deer with a single shot time after time. Funny add to that is that when I deer hunted I might have been carrying the Rem. 742 .30-06, or the Rem. 03A4 or the M1A. For some reason unknown to me the only time I ever saw buck deer I had the M1A in my hands. Strange but true. It was like the M1A was good luck or something. Or maybe the deer were curious and wondered what that big ugly, dark thing with the funny box sticking out the bottom was and wanted to get closer to see....

·
Registered
435 Posts
I live in South Carolina. There are no 100+ yard shots for anything unless it's across a large field. If I were pinned down to grab one for everything; I have a AR in 40 S&W that matches my G22. It has a nice quality optic and will take the same suppressor. It will take most game that I would be concerned with. It has been worked over and is as reliable as any thing I own.

If it had to be a center fire rifle; it would be a 300 Blackout for all the same reasons.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Plus, the .308 can be loaded from 110 grain to 180 grain (max) for the M-14 clones, although I wouldn't go any higher that 175 gr for them (too much pressure curve with the heavier bullets).

Jarhead

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Interesting thread. I do have both. I like the flexibility of the AR platform and have built AR's in .458 SOCOM, 7.62X39 and 6.8 SPC II.

As an LEO the only patrol rifle that is approved is the AR platform, either a Colt or a Bushmaster. That's where most of my training is and where my comfort zone lies.

I do have various U.S. military rifles and greatly enjoy shooting and fondling them.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I like options. I have lever-action rifles, bolt-action rifles, AR-15 rifles, an AR-10 rifle, and an M1A stainless loaded rifle. My AR-15 rifles include 5.56X45mm NATO and .50 Beowulf calibers.

·
Registered
12,174 Posts
I consider the M14 to be an excellent Service Rifle, a worthy replacement for the M1 Garand.

However, I do not believe it to be "do it all" rifle, just as the Army found out the hard way. It was not a suitable replacement for the M1 Carbine, M3 Submachine Gun and Browning Automatic Rifle, as publicized. Nor has it ever been anything more than an adequate Sniper Rifle or DMR.

I would also not consider it to be the perfect Infantry rifle. But as a general purpose Service Rifle, one of the best ever.

·
Premium Member
7,715 Posts
I consider the M14 to be an excellent Service Rifle, a worthy replacement for the M1 Garand.

However, I do not believe it to be "do it all" rifle, just as the Army found out the hard way. It was not a suitable replacement for the M1 Carbine, M3 Submachine Gun and Browning Automatic Rifle, as publicized. Nor has it ever been anything more than an adequate Sniper Rifle or DMR.

I would also not consider it to be the perfect Infantry rifle. But as a general purpose Service Rifle, one of the best ever.
I agree with you Kurt, never have I found a weapon that could do all jobs equally well. While the M14 and its variants are some of my favorites, they are not my only ones.

MORE THAN A HOBBY, A PASSION!

REN

·
Registered
76 Posts
I live in South Carolina. There are no 100+ yard shots for anything unless it's across a large field. If I were pinned down to grab one for everything; I have a AR in 40 S&W that matches my G22. It has a nice quality optic and will take the same suppressor. It will take most game that I would be concerned with. It has been worked over and is as reliable as any thing I own.

If it had to be a center fire rifle; it would be a 300 Blackout for all the same reasons.
300BO in a 10-14" folding stock AR pattern is hands down the best option for east coast killin.

·
Registered
12,174 Posts
Would you explain the difference please?
85% of soldiers in the Army can perform their jobs without a rifle, and usually do. It is simply something that they need to use in an emergency. They use the rifle once or twice a year in peacetime and keep it handy when in a combat zone.

In the Infantry, however, the rifle is your "raison d'etre." Everything that you do centers around or includes it. You eat, sleep and sh*t with it. You can't perform your job without it. It becomes a part of your body and you intimately know all of it's strengths and weaknesses. When necessary, it becomes anything that you don't have... a hammer, shovel, litter, ladder, crutch, cane and IV holder. It goes with you crawling through mud or snow and is strapped to your side when parachuting.

Hope this helps ;):):p

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

I completely agree to a point, & I feel it's fielding to replace such drastically different weapons systems would have caused any platform to miss expectations. At least IMHO.
When i consider a "Do it All" rifle, I understand that my "It All" will differ drastically from the military's needs. I don't need a weapon primarily focused on combat, as much a weapon that can take large game, possibly through thick brush or at distance & if need be, be pressed into defense.
The average Joe isn't going to be in a gun fight like we tend to imagine though, at least not for too long.

Understand I'm saying "average Joe" on purpose. I understand those with experience having boomsticks pointed at them may have a different approach to violent encounters than your average internet operator, but the main goal should be breaking contact, not elongating one's exposure to airborne hot lead.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts