M14 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at my local gun shop and they had a M1A that had no place for rear sites. The reciever had not been cut/milled for a rear site and there was no stripper clip guide either(had not been cut or milled ). It did have Williams sites mounted on the side of the reciever. It had GI parts, H&R trigger group, bolt, op-rod. Barrel was TRW. NM front site and flashhider with lug.
Serial number was in the early 36,000 range, with the 7.62 mm on it.
Has anyone else seen this type of M1A before ?
I think they had $1199.00 on it.

Boomer

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
Had the casting not been milled out for them? Or there was no sign of them ever being there? It was a Springfireld? Maybe it was a flawed one that someone who used to work there picked it out of the scrap bin.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I have only seen 1 of the M25 Whitefeathers in person and it did not have a rear sight. They are optics ready only.
The Whitefeather did not have a rear sight but it did have the rear sight ears that the knobs would go through and the depression between them that the rear sight base would fit into. The base of the rear end of the rail fit between the sight ears and was held in place by screws going through the sight ears and into the base. It also didn't have the stripper clip guide dovetail or the scope mount hole or grooves, which would be a dead giveaway for identifying a Whitefeather.

·
Registered
997 Posts
I've seen rifles with this modification for sale on Gun Broker before. It's funny that mods like this are expensive but traditionalists hate them so they don't increase the resale value of the rifle. If it's a well done conversion and you like it better than a standard configuration it's probably worth that much to you. However, if it's been there awhile make a lower offer.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The reciever looks as it was never cut for any rear sites and

the area for the stripper clip guide looks some what like a

Garand( no it's not a Garand reciever ). Heel has Springfield M

1A, 7.62mm on it . I honestly think it came from the factory

like this. It had a (Springfield crinkle) black synthetic stock . It

has been there for at least 3 months or so . I look at it ever

time I go there, but my next build will be a scoped M14 type

rifle. I have seen a couple White Feathers and this is not a

White Feather , also the serial number is in the early 36,000

range .

Hammer1 I think you have seen the same rifle at Whittaker's too.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Call Springfield Armory and have them look up the serial number. Often they can fill you in what configuration the rifle left the factory, or if it left as a receiver. Ask if it was a Custom Shop rifle. Don't tell the retailer your doing this; he should have done this already.

However, It does not sound like you really want this rifle, but instead are just curious. I'm interested in what you find out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts