M14 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am thinking about shooting at Camp Perry next year and would like to know the difference between the Service rifle match and the Vintage match. Also what rifles are allowed in each.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
For the CMP matches, there are basically 2 types:
- the 'National Championship Board Matches'
and
- the CMP 'games' matches.

The NC Board matches are the President's 100, the National Trophy Team Match, the National Trophy Individual Match, the 'Infantry Trophy Team Match' (also called the 'rattle battle'), and the 'Whistler Boy Trophy Match' for juniors.

The games matches are the M1 Garand Match, the Vintage Rifle Match, and the M1A Match (I'm not sure if that's run by the CMP or the NRA).

For the 'Board' matches, a CMP 'SERVICE RIFLE' is required: M1 (30-06, or 308Win), M14/M1A, and AR15/M16 - there are exact specifications that define what rifles are allowed (see the CMP rulebook).

The 'game' matches also have specification about what rifles are used - again see the CMP rule book.

You will need to check the schedule of the matches to see what is best for you, and also the cost for them.

Before going to Perry to shoot, I recommend that you become familiar with how HP rifle matches are run (in order to not 'learn on the fly').
And also learn about 'working in the pits', and 'score keeping'.

Attending the matches at Perry is a great experience, but it can be very tiring, and is a whole lot more involved than 'just shooting'.

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA

·
Registered
490 Posts
Great advice from Mr. Kosta. Check out odcmp.com for more details and a schedule for next year. Alot to do, shooting wise, at Camp Perry, and even more to buy and melt your visa!GI8 Ask me how I know. Pit duty is easy and fellow competitors are always ready to help. See you there! Good luck and good shooting!

Doug

·
Registered
558 Posts
M1A Match is run by the NRA. It's the first match of the NRA (Highpower) week, though it is a "games" type match.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts