M14 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
Gots a pistol question. I'ma lookin at getting a Springfield XD in the very near future, but I'm having a hard time deciding on 9mm or .40. The gun won't get used for CCW (not an option here in MD) but just range time and MAYBE IDPA. Now, before the ban expired the .40's allure was that since you could only have 10 rounds, you might as well get more powerful rounds. Well, now that hi-caps are readily available (and affordable) which would you advise? I already have a Browning HP and a couple 1911's. Should I get a different caliber all together or stick with 9MM?

Thanks all!

·
Registered
611 Posts
I'm not a big fan of the Springfield XD (although I know others on this board are). Shot a 9mm one a few months ago and was unimpressed.

As for a general caliber, I would go for a .40, maybe in a Glock 23 (that I own) or in a SIG P226 (my buddy's that I routinely have shot, and have threatened to remove permanently from his range bag :wink: ).

Adding another caliber complicates your TO&E, but what the heck. It's a nice round, although snappier than a 9mm, especially in a lightweight piece.

Good luck.

Spike

·
Registered
900 Posts
If the only thing you're going to do is shoot targets then the 9mm is what you need. Easier to control for double taps etc, but if this gun is for defense get the 40

ps the BHP in 40 is really sweet :wink:

·
Rest in Peace
17,536 Posts
With military surplus 9mm so cheap & great for target shooting & plinking I recommend staying with it.
Why buy another gun since you have a Browning Hi Power. Put a few dollars into it & make it a tack driver & get some 13rd mags for it.

JMHO
HH

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
I'm all for having a little diversity in the gun safe, so why not grab up a .40 S&W? I can tell you from personal experience, the .40 S&W is a great round for plinking and an excellent choice for personal defense.

If you check out the ammo suppliers where most of us buy our milsurp for the rifles AMMO link page by sv_sniper , you'll see that quite a few sell FMJ .40 S&W rounds that are almost as cheap as 9mm and they are great for plinking or putting holes in paper.

While I certainly would never, ever suggest that the .45 ACP isn't the premier self-defense round (IMHO - for me, it's second only to my .41 mag), the .40 S&W packs a real punch - especially with some of the really good JHP ammo available. Like Lex_Ordo, I have my .40 S&W loaded with 180 grain Speer Gold Dots (165's are also excellent), but since the .40 S&W is arguably becoming the civilian LEO round of choice throughout the US, ammo manufacturers have come up with all kinds of excellent loads.

BTW - I know quite a few folks that have purchased Springfield XD pistols in both calibers and the consensus is that for the price you'll pay for one, you get a good, reliable pistol. I've been really tempted to pick up an XD but fortunately for my checkbook, the only ones available at the gun shops I frequent are the 9mms. The .40 S&W XD's are usually out the door in a real hurry.

Have a good one.

db

·
Registered
180 Posts
If you want to stay with the 9mm, I would suggest the CCI/Speer 124gr.+P Gold Dot for self defense. I have a FM (Argentine) HP. Though I don't carry it, I've found that load to shoot well from my HP. Having said that, I'm a loyal Glock fan. The .40 is a terrific round for both applications. In my G35 & my G27 I carry the Federal 155gr. Hydra-Shok. I know that this load comes out of a G22 at 1150 fps. So, I'm going to assume that out of the G35 it comes out right about 1200 fps. Also, I will say that I've shot over 3K rds through my G35 without cleaning it and it still eats everything I feed her! Just as accurate from day 1.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Trumpet.

I am one who has purchased an XD in 40 cal, if you decide on the XD you won't be sorry. I have shot a little over 1,000 rounds, the only problems I had with it were the hotter loaded european ammo. Changing to a stiffer spring would probably correct that.

You'd be hard pressed to find the same quality handgun, in the same price range. Buy one with confidence, you won't be sorry.

Oh yeah, almost forgot, since you already have both 9mm, and 45, I would suggest you get the 40 cal.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
What you may think about is what most are saying, the 40 is a good
caliber.
Bullet choice 135-200 gr. Easy to find at most stores. 155 gold dot has good stopping power, the 180's good close range hunting load.I had to shoot a 900 lb beef cow, one shot put her down.
As far as Springfield,a good choice but also look at others Glock and etc.
Feel, sight picture when it comes up. also try to shoot different ones at the range. What are the most trouble free. Good accuracy,dependable, for autos do have problems once and a while. thoughts....?

·
Registered
180 Posts
I bought my first .40 back in 1991, when it was a new round. That was a Smith 4006. A lot of people don't like Smith 3rd gen. autos, but mine shot great! Ended up replacing it with a Glock 35. I'd do it the same way if I had to do it again. Ammo wise, the .40 with 180gr. bullets is ballistically close (real close) to the .45 ACP. However, the .40 yields the best results with light to mid-weight bullets (155 & 165gr.), actually surpassing the exterior ballistics of the .45 (edges up close to .357 Mag.). The Speer Gold Dot is an excellent bullet. There are lots of choices out there. Pick the one that best suits YOUR needs/mission. Good Luck :)

·
Registered
267 Posts
My understanding is that a quality 9mm round will have the same penetration as a .40 and they are cheaper to shoot and lighter to carry fit more rounds in the clip and I find to be more accurate

·
Registered
95 Posts
Buy the caliber you like and a gun that fits your hand. do not worry about caliber. Too much time is wasted over this. 9mm is fine for self defense. Just remember to use good ammo for self defense, save the cheap ball ammo for the range.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.