M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Forum Jester
8,417 Posts
find out what it would cost to convert. prob just be barrel,bushing,main spring,mags and poss extractor. then you have a gun that shoots what's available cheap,9mm or 45.
it's already paid for

if it's an unkown soldier,even better

Reactions: CharlieLima

·
Registered
125 Posts
First 1911 I built was a 9MM for my wife, even had her name engraved in it. Everyone that shoots it loves it.

To change calibers you will need a slide, barrel/bushing, sights, extractor, ejector possibly a slide lock. There are parts you can use if you set it up to change sights quickly.

On the cheap use Essex on upper end Caspian or STI. What I like with Caspian is the fact that they will put an oval cut in the slide for the front sigh so you can use glock sights. When you do this you can go from hi viz sights for a match pistol to a better sight for concealed carry in a few minutes.

Can you tell I like 1911's don't care if it's a 9MM, 40S&W, 10MM or 45 ACP.

Just in case, if you don't want it I will volunteer to give it a good home!

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
Reactions: High Hat

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
First 1911 I built was a 9MM for my wife, even had her name engraved in it. Everyone that shoots it loves it.

To change calibers you will need a slide, barrel/bushing, sights, extractor, ejector possibly a slide lock. There are parts you can use if you set it up to change sights quickly.

On the cheap use Essex on upper end Caspian or STI. What I like with Caspian is the fact that they will put an oval cut in the slide for the front sigh so you can use glock sights. When you do this you can go from hi viz sights for a match pistol to a better sight for concealed carry in a few minutes.

Can you tell I like 1911's don't care if it's a 9MM, 40S&W, 10MM or 45 ACP.

Just in case, if you don't want it I will volunteer to give it a good home!
I'm thinking caspian is worth looking at. SAI wont sell me a slide.
CL

·
Registered
223 Posts
You can get a 9mm wadgun to shoot sub inch at 50 yards but they have to be so tight that they will just barely function.

I've got one that's pointless to shoot at 25 because you can never find all 10 shots so many go in the same hole.

It's still a work in progress at 50. I have better luck with a 45 at that distance.

I'm told there are some issues with ignition and extraction with 9mm in a 1911. The commercial 9mm 1911's that I've seen are real loose.

Sig and Kimber have come out with some 1911-ish variations of the Colt Mustang ( no grip safety, pivoting trigger ) that are really compact and light. I carry a Kimber micro 9 and you don't even know it's in your pocket. Not the most accurate little pistol but if you're used to a 1911 they're pretty cool.

For a 45 barrel Kart is pretty much the gold standard. I don't know that the bushing is that important you just want one that is oversized that you can size down.

I've never heard of a 45 and a 9 on the same frame. My gunsmith told me they use different extractors but that's over my head. I just pay the man and shoot the gun.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You can get a 9mm wadgun to shoot sub inch at 50 yards but they have to be so tight that they will just barely function.

I've got one that's pointless to shoot at 25 because you can never find all 10 shots so many go in the same hole.

It's still a work in progress at 50. I have better luck with a 45 at that distance.

I'm told there are some issues with ignition and extraction with 9mm in a 1911. The commercial 9mm 1911's that I've seen are real loose.

Sig and Kimber have come out with some 1911-ish variations of the Colt Mustang ( no grip safety, pivoting trigger ) that are really compact and light. I carry a Kimber micro 9 and you don't even know it's in your pocket. Not the most accurate little pistol but if you're used to a 1911 they're pretty cool.

For a 45 barrel Kart is pretty much the gold standard. I don't know that the bushing is that important you just want one that is oversized that you can size down.

I've never heard of a 45 and a 9 on the same frame. My gunsmith told me they use different extractors but that's over my head. I just pay the man and shoot the gun.
Your making me think about the old Spanish star BMs. those were nice shooters. Buried buy the double row and polymer frame movements.
CL

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
I have a lot of 1911s, but only 1 in 9mm. This STI Trojan 5" is one of the most accurate 9mm pistols that I have ever shot. It's bone stock right out of the box.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.