M14 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a DUV 42 98K Mauser. I just started reloading for it and when I shoot at 100 yards, it shoots way low! About 10" too low. Rear blade is set at 100 yards, the target is set out to 100 yards. I don't get it! Is there something I've yet to hear about concerning Mauser sights? I am shooting 200 grain SMK with 40.5-43 grains of IMR 4064 inside brand new Remington brass using Rem 9 1/2 LR primers.
Also, (don't know if this is the proper forum for this subject question) the Sierra manual says to load 200 gr. SMK at a COAL of 3.115. I did that with the first 20 loads. When I did my own "chamber check", my COAL to the lands was 3.320. Measuring with my calipers, the difference is almost a quarter inch! That's quite a jump to the lands using Sierra's COAL. What is the minimum one can stay off the lands on a Mauser? I've heard that Mauser throats are rather long. Any answers would be appreciated! Thanks.
My technique for my COAL "chamber check" was to insert a bullet on the case as finger tight as possible, place in the mag well of the mauser and run it into the chamber until the bolt closed. Pulled it out and measured it with my calipers.

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
My experience with milsurp rifles has been, sometimes ya gotta wonder what on earth that army or that private was thinking. The elevation zeroes are way off sometimes. I think it just shows how badly other military units are trained compared to ours. GI6

Check with the usual surplus outfits (Numrich, Sarco, Springfield Sporters) and you should be able to find assorted front sight blades of different heights to get the zero corrected to where it should be.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
With a 60 plus year old rifle the sights could have been manipulated.

Try what Tommo suggested, also check your reloads again my book says 42 - 46 grains of IMR4064 with a 200 grain bullet and COAL 3.200 (Speer manual #13)
The Speer manual developed their loads along the European guide lines when it comes to the 8X57 and a few others, so they exceed SAAMI standards.

If it is still shooting low your choices are:
to do nothing,
Adjust the rear sight,
file down the front sight.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I have a 1942 byf 98k and my pops loaded up basically the same ammo. about 8 inches low at 100. I loaded up some 170 gr sp rn hornadys about 43 gr of 4064. Same effect. I had my smith install a BN old stock Lyman 57 and a timney trigger and still. I cannot manipulate sights enough to raise round. ????? I am baffled. Both rounds of different loads are hitting the same place as each other on paper. I believe it is the rifle. Anyone out there know where to buy new front sight posts for mauser 98k????

Personally, after 7 years shooting a m16a2 in the corps, I think the sights on the 98k suck big time, Love the weapon but the sights do not do that weapon justice. Hence the Lyman install.

Can someone give me a tutorial on filing down front post?? Never did that before. Thanks

·
Registered
320 Posts
I think the front or rear sights have been messed with.

Have a smith look at it to get it to zero with some surplus ammo.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
I have a 1944 bnz and it is dead on at 100yds, but that is with 185gr RWS Bullets!

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
Samco and Brownell's have front sights taller and shorter for '98 Mausers. Your rifle's is on the tall side (for that ammo) to be shooting every round that low. Or, if that's a good load and you plan to keep shooting it, you can file down the sight you have and get a new spare one later.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have shot milsurp in this rifle (1954 Yugo, 198 grain) and it shoots to point of aim at 100 yards. I just don't understand how a bullet that is "better" and 2 grains heavier shoot so much lower with the sights set the same shooting over the same distance. Maybe it's the powder selection? I broke down a bunch of these milsurp rounds because they have corrosive primers. While I was breaking down the rounds I was weighing the charges and they weighed from 40 grains up to 43 grains. Average was in the 41 grain range for the 200 rounds that I pulled apart. It is a flake type powder and I get the impression after firing 150 of them that it is a fast burning powder..........faster than the IMR 4064.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'm also guessing that your load is too light. As was mentioned above, American load data is typically different than European. You will also find that US made 8mm ammunition is greatly underpowered in comparison to European commercial or surplus. The reason for this, is that original 8mm rounds were black powder and used a different size/style of bullet (.318). Around the turn of the century, they upgraded their ammunition and rifles to smokeless powder and a bullet diameter of .323". For the same reason that we have "lawyer triggers", we also have "lawyer ammo", since some of these older rifles are still very available and 8mm is probably the most prominent example of this situation. This may be a good thing, in some respects, as I've seen examples of idiots trying to fire modern hunting ammunition in rifles like the Gew '88 Commission Rifle!GI3

I would use the 198 grain surplus stuff for plinking and when you're serious about accuracy, start working up to a hotter load and see how it does. I can almost guarantee that your POI will start to climb, with even a little increase in the powder charge.

GI5

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
without looking in my books, i would agree your shooting a weak load, ie bullet is moving very slowly. doesnt matter how great the bullet is, if its low velocity its not going to work well with the original sights. my own 8x57 load is 170gr hornady rn over 49gr IMR 4064 (it is a max load), and dont have a problem with low P.O.I. .

·
Registered
868 Posts
C.o.a.l.

Make sure the handloads cycle properly (aren't too long for the magazine).

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Thanks, glad I bought a bullet puller! Really appreciate the insight from you guys. As far as coal, I used the suggestion from lyman's 49th reload manual. They cycle fine in rifle.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
My next question is this: If your round is too hot what is the accuracy issues that rise. Let's say POI is low due to being undercharged. How does that change once you load beyond optimum powder charge. I am not talking about too much powder where gun fails.

Example. 44 grains is shooting foot low

46 grains is POA equals POI @100 yds.

you load 49 grains

·
Registered
116 Posts
You don't know for sure until you try it. However, I would not suggest changing loads, just to get one that hits at point of aim (*ETA* That's the goal, but it might not happen. Read on...). That's not to say that it can't be done, but I would find the closest one which yields accuracy that is to your satisfaction (and if it's hitting POA, that's great!). I would rather have a load that shot 1 MOA and was two inches high, than one that shot 3 MOA and was roughly to POA. That's just me, but my logic is that, if I know how much to hold over/under, I should be good to go. Then, there's also the possibility of getting a different height front sight blade to get you where you need to be. I shoot so many different milsurps, that I've become accustomed to taking notes on such things, for individual rifles and adapting to it. If I can get a different sight blade/aperture or modify the existing one to match POA to POI, all the better. Some designs just don't lend themselves to it (like Mosin 91/30 front sights), but in Mausers, you have options.

HTH,

John

1 - 16 of 16 Posts