M14 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You can have no more than 10 import parts on an AK according to the law yadda yadda.
I have 8 including the original Romanian stock set.Now by removing the USA grip I essentially have 5 USA parts do I need to add a USA part like a TAPCO shepard's hook plate to comply having 6 USA parts in the gun?
All I take from the law is no more than 10 import parts it doesn't say how many USA parts need to be in there.

·
In the gilded halls of Valhala
13,515 Posts
that law is for people importing and selling aks like arsenal.

its the worst law next to the nfa

·
13,515 Posts
that law is for people importing and selling aks like arsenal.

its the worst law next to the nfa
if you have not added parts leave it alone.

·
13,515 Posts
not a lawyer

but i interpret 922r to be for makers of aks for sale.

ot doesnt say possesion of a non compliant rifle.

id be interested to see records of prosecution or warning given if there is any.

i own mostly all us made firearms.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Now that you mention it it does say if your building the gun.
I just wanted to swap out the pistol grip so now it has 5 US parts not 6.

I appreciate your replies thanks.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
I'm with Dredsden on this, but the retainer plate isn't a compliance part. Fire control group, mag body, floor plate, and follower, gas piston, and (if threaded) muzzle device are all included.

·
Registered
293 Posts
How many times has the ATF been to the range and asked to disassemble your rifle and inspect all your parts to make sure it is compliance? How is this law enforced? It can only be enforced if the person is arrested for some other issue and they happen to decide to check the gun out. And even then how will you know if the part is US made or foreign made. Some parts have no country of manufacturer on them. All BS laws to restrict 2nd amendment rights.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
How many times has the ATF been to the range and asked to disassemble your rifle and inspect all your parts to make sure it is compliance? How is this law enforced? It can only be enforced if the person is arrested for some other issue and they happen to decide to check the gun out. And even then how will you know if the part is US made or foreign made. Some parts have no country of manufacturer on them. All BS laws to restrict 2nd amendment rights.
Agreed, but you're unfortunately royally screwed if it does happen. Most US parts I've seen, Tapco, Chaos, etc, are marked USA. This link is useful

http://www.dinzagarms.com/922r/922r.html

·
13,515 Posts
show me one prosecution that doesnt involve selling rifles.

theres an atf letter around the atf admits they ca prove 922r violations.

its likely political best to follow the law. if the atf ever gets after you ita just going to be a dogpile of charges. i would not be surprised if there is some gun law i dont know about "using a magazine with springs made in a certified atf spring facility"

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
your rifle must have 6 US parts. it's a bogus law that is never enforced.........but if you want to play the game, have a 3-piece US FCG and a 3-piece US mag handy and your done.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The only foreign parts on mine are the barrel,trunion,receiver,bolt ,bolt carrier,front handguard,buttstock and pistol grip for a total of 8.
5 US parts which are gas piston, trigger group(3parts),muzzle brake.
Using a USA made mag (3 parts) that will put me at 8 US parts.
If I am correct I would be fine if checked.
The way I read it no more than 10 foreign parts not how many US parts but maybe I'm wrong who knows.
It just refers to 16 parts so I have 8 and 8 for a total of 16.

·
13,515 Posts
The only foreign parts on mine are the barrel,trunion,receiver,bolt ,bolt carrier,front handguard,buttstock and pistol grip for a total of 8.
5 US parts which are gas piston, trigger group(3parts),muzzle brake.
Using a USA made mag (3 parts) that will put me at 8 US parts.
If I am correct I would be fine if checked.
The way I read it no more than 10 foreign parts not how many US parts but maybe I'm wrong who knows.
It just refers to 16 parts so I have 8 and 8 for a total of 16.
its a % of parts...

itz also only applicable to rifles imported after 93...

the only rifles allowed to be imported rsince 93 are sporters.

so if its an orginal ak youbdont have to mess with it unless you reconfigure.
best to leave it as is.

if its an arsenal or other (arsenal buys those saiga sporters which are only imported for hunting and puts then into fighting configuratio )

the law was made so that us importers have to pjt us parts on the guns they "de-sporterize".

this is basically some early clinton law we forgot to untangle. it needs to go.

·
13,515 Posts
what if we made a law :

" all import cars must have at least 20% american made parts"

i think ot would be unpopular but if they want to buy some shale oil theyd have to put up with it.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Like the others said.... its an unenforceable and silly law, but as most gun owners take great pains to be law-abiding, its worth paying attention to.

Doesn't matter at all how many US parts you have. All that matters is that you do not have more than 10 imported parts from the list. It applies to anyone "assembling" a "non-sporting" rifle or shotgun that is banned from importation. Whether for personal use or for sale.

Tapco has a good write up on it.

http://www.tapco.com/section922r/

1 - 20 of 20 Posts