M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks,

I have a Standard M1A in a Walnut stock, and I want to use it as a hunting rifle. So, I unitized the gas cylinder, put in an LRB NM op rod guide, a Tubb spring. The trigger is match tuned. Scope is a Leupold VX Freedom 4x12x40 CDS dial. Mount is a Bassett low aluminum, rings are Leupold Rifleman Medium height. The load was a 165gr Barnes TSX .308 diameter, 40.8 grains Accurate 2460, virgin Starline brass, #34 primer COAL 2.708. Load data provided for informational purposes only, use at your own risk. 3 shot group, .85 inches at 100 yards. Picture below. L8899#
Measuring instrument Electronic device Calipers Gas Circle

·
Premium Member
8,544 Posts
Way to go Lacie8899#!

Reactions: Kopper

·
Premium Member
1,534 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Folks,

I just looked at the stock. Notice in my photo how the group is high and somewhat left. The hand guard is free floating, but the Handguard retaining clip was touching the stock. On the left, so I went ahead and relived the stock in the area. It is a bit ugly, But hopefully that will keep my groups a bit better centered. L8899#

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
If you measure that group correctly, center to center of two widest shots, its smaller than .85", closer to half inch. Trick is to put five there and not choke, LOL. Been there done that.
Nice group!
That was the first thing I noticed on the pic. It is measured wrong and the group is better than .85. I too would not go with a 3 shot group but a 5 shot group or more depending on what I am doing.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
A 3 shot group is standards for Big Game. Here in the Rocky Mtn West 5 shot groups are for bench shooting.
I have read a 7 round group is statistically minimum, for manufacturing testing with controlled conditions. In the field, as more rounds are fired external influences like breeze, shooter setup, rest, heartbeat, gnat, mosquito, etc. come into play and tend to overshadow the load and rifle. I bet if the OP had 10 rounds to fire, several rounds at least would have in the 3” range.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
I think a 7 round group is statistically minimum, 10 even better.
Setting a statistical minimum for a sample depends on how much you want/need to control the upper and lower confidence intervals. All of that depends on the use.

For a hunt, when you’re firing 1 shot, 3 shot groups that are tight are enough to be confident you’re in the vital zone on an animal.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
When you feel you really have it nailed with a 3-shot or 5-shot group, next step would be to get a solid 10-shot group.

If it is as good as it appears initially, you should be able to get a 10-shot group that is pretty close.

I shoot 5-shots for most of my initial testing, but a 10-shot group is the real test.

It's looking really good so far!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts