M14 Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
2,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well gents, and ladies...The time is drawing near. I just received the first 762MM Firearms bolt off the line, and is the first prototype for testing and review. Needless to say, this will be an extensive test with many measurements to check so it will take a while. I will post findings of the evaluation when done...meanwhile, here's a sneak peak of what we have been waiting for.....Unbelievable, that we finally have American made bolts, for American made men,... again, by another manufacturer ....Did I mention that all the guts made by 762MM pictured, were also sent for review ?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Didn't see the dimple to test for hardness. Is it there? Also the color looks very dark almost black. Is that the lighting or is it black?

·
Resident Rascal
13,508 Posts
They couldn't have picked a better guy to check it out. Lookin' forward to what you have to say about it Rip. I really hope they have it right!

It does look like black spray paint instead of park.

·
Registered
744 Posts
How many years has it been sense a bolt for the M14 was made by an American company? Here's to it checking out as good.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Looking forward to your report and to an American source for parts finally coming into it's own.

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
I await Patiently on pins and needles for your Results and Review
I must say this Company 7.62mm looks better and Better everyday

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
+1 on these comments. I have been holding off getting a new bolt for my M14S, and this might be a good reason to wait a little longer GI2

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Didn't see the dimple to test for hardness.
Dimples on GI bolts were not hardness tests. It was put on the bolt to show it passed a test firing with a High Pressure Proof round. That is why no commercial bolts have ever meet GI specs, because high pressure test cartridges are next to impossible to get due to the type of powders used.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Didn't see the dimple to test for hardness. Is it there? Also the color looks very dark almost black. Is that the lighting or is it black?
+1

I was told that their bolts would be high pressure tested in the same way as the USGI bolts, and have the dimple.

I'm sure there are many types and different loadings of powder they could use to duplicate a high pressure test. There is a lot of extra room in a 7.62x51 case for more powder.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
I attempted to provide high pressure test cartridges back in the early 1980's and the problem was the powder used was unique, required a 2000 lb order to produce, and the storage became a safety issue with the township.

My post was not criticizing this bolt, it was correcting the previous post about hardness tests, and all the false claims over the years about "GI Specs" for commercial barrels and bolts. None of them even knew what the specs were.

The GI standard was 67,500 psi with a Magnetic Particle Test for cracks after firing. The punch indicated the bolt cleared the test.

I would be interested in knowing the type of loading and the psi test.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Trying to contain my excitement. I've been following the threads and all I can say is....This is Great, finally, American made! Best of luck on the testing 762MM.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
A spare bolt would be proof fired and then if put into a rifle, may be proof fired a second time. Do not know if two punches were done on M14 bolts, but they were on Garand.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I attempted to provide high pressure test cartridges back in the early 1980's and the problem was the powder used was unique, required a 2000 lb order to produce, and the storage became a safety issue with the township.

My post was not criticizing this bolt, it was correcting the previous post about hardness tests, and all the false claims over the years about "GI Specs" for commercial barrels and bolts. None of them even knew what the specs were.

The GI standard was 67,500 psi with a Magnetic Particle Test for cracks after firing. The punch indicated the bolt cleared the test.

I would be interested in knowing the type of loading and the psi test.
according to army ammunition data sheets TM 43-0001-27 the loading was 41 grains of IMR4475 with a 171.5grain projectile to reach 67,500psi in the 7.62 nato

·
Registered
19 Posts
My M14 and two M1's have punch make on the bolt, but one of my M1 Garands does not have a punch mark on the bolt, number on bolt is 8528287-SA with A15 centered under it.What does that mean, GI or not ?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.