M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The clouds parted, and the sun shone through, and the temperature broke above freezing: Time to hit the range with my new 7.62 receivered TRW build.

I put 160 rounds through her, and only had the chance to hit the 25M range. The pic is from the first 20-rd mag, the stringers were from the first few shots, was a bit excited:

JMPWNG2

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Off to a good start, keep us posted.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This was off a bench with a sand bag, no sling though. No sight adjustements were made at all. My intent on the first mag was to just get some rounds through her. I am very pleased with my rifle JMPWNG2

·
Banned
2,325 Posts
Purdy good shooting once she broke in....Name of your new sweetheart ?

Also, as much as I like paper with holes in its center, could you post some pics of your receiver, close-ups of the top and bolt, and rear numbers, with last two covered of course.

Does yours have the small numbers or the large numbers for the serial # ? The diamond is so cool, reminds me of TRW in a way.

Also, I would like pics to see how your parkerizing looks.
The tool marks are of great concern to the members in the past and my last batch were really smooth.

Also your receiver under the bottom at the back where the bolt hits the rear and the op rod channel with the op rod removed. This should show all the perspective buyers that the new ones have had all previous issues fixed. Thanks for any help, ...Rip.

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
Yes what did you name the Rifle? I am not sure it is Obligatory, But maybe Should Be
What Ammo did you use?
Please tell us the brake down of parts
and please post some pictures as requested earlier

Oh and I think you are off to a Good Start

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
easy-v... WOW that's great, a brand new rifle build with a forged receiver. You're well above the curve for most of us here. There's a lot of us here with 100's or even 1000's of post that haven't made that leap yet.

It's kind of funny to watch us commiserate over which direction to take a build. Which are the best components to use, USGI or Commericial, the best receiver, the best armorer to use, or to even do the build ourselves. We have some pretty amazing and talented people on this forum, that are capable enough to do a build themselves. These same guys help out whenever they can and are real assets to our group.

I for one, am VERY interested in your story and the process of this build, please share the details. I sure it's something the folks here can appreciate and hopefully learn a thing or two.

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
easy-v, looking good! Is this your first commercial M14 type rifle? Looks like you have a real shooter there.

Who did your build for you and how long did it take from start to finish? Were your parts from a CMP kit?

Please keep us informed and pics of the build would be nice, too!

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Nice!!!

I am extremely jealous of you sir!FRG1

·
Registered
744 Posts
Congratulations on the new build, looks good. Like the others say keep us posted.

For the rest of us!

Just one more day, if you want to get in on one of the group buys.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've lways wondered why people named their guns or even cars for that matter. Not meant to be a slam but always thought it VERY weird. My sister in law has always done this and we thin k it strange.

·
Banned
2,325 Posts
We understand, truly we do...but if it has to be explained, it would be difficult for anyone to grasp anyway.

To the OP, please post us some more pics of the mysterious as yet unnamed young lady. Build particulars, etc,etc, etc. You have found a captive audience,..... exploit it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
The clouds parted, and the sun shone through, and the temperature broke above freezing: Time to hit the range with my new 7.62 receivered TRW build.

I put 160 rounds through her, and only had the chance to hit the 25M range. The pic is from the first 20-rd mag, the stringers were from the first few shots, was a bit excited:

JMPWNG2
I've blown that picture up to a hundred times it's original size and I still can't see the rifle that accompanies this target. Is anybody else having this problem? Maybe it's just my computer. Perhaps the O.P. can explain this anomaly. GI2

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Ok, ok...UNCLE!

If you haven't watched Full Metal Jacket, I think you would gain an understanding of the tradition of naming inanimate M14's...

Here is Alli, my first M14.

I had recently recovered from a bout of Garanditis, when I thought I would try an M1A/M14 style rifle. I initially wanted to buy a Springfield M1a (the model number 9222 comes to mind...) and when my local gun shop told me it was impossible to find a springfield M1a and they were too expensive (yes, they actually told me that), undeterred, I took a step back and started to do some research, which brought me to TFL, where I heard about 7.62. I was looking at dropping 1500-=1800 on the springfield, so 600+699+250+250+75 for the 7.62 isn't far off that mark, and I think its a great price comparitively. Additionally, with the parts kit, I didn't have to pay all the money at once....

I lucked out and got me a TRW parts kit from CMP. I didn't check the TG components to see if they were TRW, but most of the parts from the kit appeared to be TRW from what I could tell. After saving some cash, about a month later I sent it off to 7.62 to put it together on one of their receivers, and I also bought a bolt and barrel from them.

So, compliments should go to Chris and 7.62 for not only the quality of the receiver, but the build as well.

Here is the inside of the receiver heel:

Op Rod Rail

Receiver finish. A buddy of mine who is a machinist, and a very anal one at that, works on airplane/rocket ship parts was with me when I picked my rifle up from the FFL. He was not compelled to mention anything negative about the finish, and when I asked him about it, he said that it was just a matter of bead blasting during the manufacturing process. I would imagine if you bead blast excessively, you could remove enough material to make it out of spec. I like the finish, it gives it character and I think it is just dandy.

Top view.Note the tool marks on the USGI Stripper clip guide.

Receiver heel. My china marker skills need help...

The Op Rod finish was the only thing in the CMP kit that had finish blemishes, or did not appear newish:

Here is the ammo, DAG (can't remember the date, early 90's?), got it from
Cheaper than dirt

I have 2 20-rd Promags, because no where near me sells Checkmates :(

More pictures, and garands and tanks and airplanes are
on my flickr page here/

JMPWNG2

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
That's a good lookin' rifle! When the time comes that I think I need another rifle, 7.62 will be high on the list!GI6

·
Banned
2,325 Posts
Thanks easy-v ,and welcome to the forum....you are now one of us !! Hooked for sure like a catfish on a trotline with treble hooks, no escape.

Looks pretty good from my house, and my first one had the same look for finish and tooling marks. I love it personally and would hope they keep it the same. We really appreciate your post !!!

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
That is a nice lookin rifle. The tooling marks don't look excessive to me. I think in the past what a lot of people complaimed about were marks that looked like they were made from dull cutters.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts