M14 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My 7.62MM receivered rifle arrived today. It came on the BWT securely boxed and wrapped in a very nice, heavy duty rifle sock. A nice touch!

My initial impressions were that it looked very professionally assembled and had a nice, smooth dark parkerized type finish. I had purchased an 18.5" standard weight Criterion barrel and 7.62 had installed it and built the rifle from parts that I supplied. They did this an no cost to me.

I do not see any major machining marks on the surfaces that are visible when the rifle is assembled. The surface is smooth and even. Here are some pics of the build. One thing that you'll notice is that the machining of the interior of the receiver heel is not as flawless as some other manufactures. Is this a problem? I don't know, but I had originally sent my first receiver to a well known gunsmith on this forum who judged the surface of that receiver to be safe and that it offered sufficient area for the bolt to strike on. That early receiver was, if anything, rougher than this receiver and was sent back to 7.62 for some processes that were not completed at the time of initial machining. The bolt stop pin hole on that receiver was blind and once pin was installed it could not be removed. 7.62MM replaced that receiver and then as a follow up offered to build the rifle for me. Here are the pics:

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'll be getting together with some of the WA state guys this weekend and we'll put some rounds down range and then I'll submit a range report.

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
Thank you for Keeping your word and Posting Pictures and your Evaluation
As you Say not Perfectly Machined, is Ok By Me. I if my Job holds out a little longer I will be ordering one.Seems they are Slowly working the Bugs out of it which shows me they are Serious abut making a successful bid for market share
By the way Congratulations

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you, gentlemen. I'll post a range report this weekend after I run some rounds through her.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Nice pictures. I guess what I would like to know is if you are delighted with what you have in your hands. You seeded to be pretty low keyed in your descriptions. I should have mine in a day or so.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Thanks for the pics. It does look as though progress is being made in the machineing. But I would still like to see the reciever cleaned up in the heel area. It may be functional but it shows they have not gotten all the steps perfected for finnishing this area. Also from your pic of the bolt roller, it appears to be touching the rail when in battery. May be just the angle of the pic though.

I will wait a little longer untill I see these areas corrected. I want to do a custom build with a custom serial #.

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I am on my 7th graveyard shift and am not bubbling with positive emotions right now, so may seem a bit muted. The build looks good and the proof will be in the shooting.

And yes, the bolt roller shot is just the angle, there is clearance on both sides. For some reason when I down loaded the pics to Photobucket the forward shot didn't make the trip.

·
Registered
279 Posts
My receiver looks better in the heel area than that one.. I see some hand work on mine also.. I'd not be happy with that hogged out look.. if it was mine.. I want 762MM to be in the market and be a competing company with SIA nad LRB. The more companies making this stuff the better off the shooting community is.. I'm glad they are making new parts that's what the M-14 industry needs a shot in the Arm.. one reason the FAL has such a larger market share it the sheer numbers of parts.. 10-1 to that of the M-14.. What I don't want from 762 is Poor products...put on the market because they didn't want to fix a problem.. it will end up costing them in the long run if they do that.. a happy customer tells a friend or two about their product/experience and unhappy customer tells 10-20 people about the very bad experience..don't buy from them etc... if 762 doesn't get their act together they'll be gone like Fed Ord. I'll post some pics of my receiver when I pick it up.. B2B

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
We all know that a company can do 100 things right and 1 thing wrong. And the only thing that will be remembered is the 1 thing they did wrong.

I want to see 7.62mm Firearms succeed in a big way.

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
B2b, understand completely and I am in conversation with Chris at 7.62 on the issue. My concern is as whether it's a functional issue or an aesthic one. I try not to make any decisions this far into my graveyard routine so I'm taking an easy approach right now. As I told Chris, the proof is in the shooting.

Here's some better shots of the bolt lug lock up areas:

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
And yes, the bolt roller shot is just the angle, there is clearance on both sides. For some reason when I down loaded the pics to Photobucket the forward shot didn't make the trip.
It wasn't the sides I was refering to. It is the bottom where it appears to contact the rail.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
It wasn't the sides I was refering to. It is the bottom where it appears to contact the rail.
I'm with you. The roller looks like it is touching the rail. In one of the pics it looks like some meat was removed from the rail to relieve it.

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I'm with you. The roller looks like it is touching the rail. In one of the pics it looks like some meat was removed from the rail to relieve it.
I missed that!! I will give it a look when I get off duty and go home. Probably won't be able to get to it until the afternoon.

Good catch, guys!! I found this post from an earlier time. Sounds easily taken care of, but I wouldn't expect to see this on a new build. I'll try the paper test tomorrow.

http://www.m14tfl.com/upload/showthread.php?t=34508&highlight=bolt+roller+contact&page=2

·
Registered
288 Posts
Nice looking piece. I'm glad you were willing to take a chance with a new manufacturer. To all those on the fence, 7.62 demonstrated with this one customer that they are WAY more than willing to make right any issues. If we all sit on our hands waiting for them to perfect their receiver we'll watch a start-up company wither and die, I fear. I am sure they laid out a lot of money getting set up, and getting some return on the investment is like a ticking bomb. There is a limited time to start turning debt into revenue before a business has to toss in the towel.

SA still hasn't perfected their receiver, by the way.

Edited to add that I have no inside info on 7.62 or their financial situation, just encouraging people to consider making a purchase sooner rather than later.

·
Registered
3,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Another thing that I should mention is that I purchased a forged and a cast receiver in the original buy. Since 7.62 has had some set backs in developing their cast receivers, Chris at 7.62 it going to upgrade my cast receiver to a forged unit and states that it should ship to my FFL on Friday. Chris seems to be trying very hard to make his business successful and keep his customers happy. We'll have to wait to see how it works out, but I also would like to see his business succeed and give us M14 enthusiasts another choice for supplying our addiction......er, needs.

·
Banned
2,325 Posts
roller

I just received my receivers on December 7th...how fitting.....the bolt roller relief cut-out area, to rectify bolt roller rail impact, is good to go in all five of them.......the receiver heel cut is very concentric and a smooth radius 360 degree cut at the proper angle that is diminished to nothing at the bottom of the receiver, as it should be.....I will also be posting pics this afternoon on another thread so we don't hijack this one....congrats Mercman !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bullet holes in paper, and cans, and everything else are required you know.....don't you have an old Jack-o-Lantern you could post a vid on youtube as you use it for target practice DI2

·
Registered
30 Posts
I picked mine up from my FFL today. Mine appears good to go from what I can tell.

It is an absolutely beautiful piece...can't wait to throw some rounds down range. Built out with a CMP TRW kit- the barrel, receiver, bolt purchased and built from 7.62

JMPWNG2

1 - 20 of 27 Posts