M14 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read as many post as I can find about 7.62mm receivers, all I have found are about the forged receivers. I want to purchase 3 ea receivers and am looking at the cast 7.62mm receivers (I might go 5 receivers). Does anyone out there have experience building rack grade M1A's on the cast 7.62mm receivers. If this has already been discussed sorry I could not find it.
Thank you

Jim

·
Banned
2,325 Posts
The cast receivers are not released yet, but very soon. The original die was a bit long and it has taken months to make a new one because the guy that does it had taken sick. He is up and running again and the new die is finished, the prototypes are also finished. They look very nice too. I told Chris last night that I wanted the first one released, so I could check it out. I will let you know what I find out from getting it.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Once again the variety of civilian made parts available to us widens. As the bugs get worked out and confidence grows in them it will certainly make it easier for those of us wanting another build as well as for the first time builder.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Once again the variety of civilian made parts available to us widens. As the bugs get worked out and confidence grows in them it will certainly make it easier for those of us wanting another build as well as for the first time builder.

That's the bottom line and what matters most.

More and more manufacturers producing an increasing selection of parts
and accessories ensures that the M14 platform will be around for a long time.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I would say forged. For the money they are a great value, and re-sale (if you ever have to) would be better. I could be wrong. But that is my .2 cents.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
What really makes the difference is in the individual receiver and the way that the trigger group, stock, op rod, and bolt work together. If you work out the bugs in all those parts and the way they fit together you will have a better action. That will allow for smoother cycling which means fewer problems with short cycling and failures to feed. The receiver strength is good in both forged and cast. You really don't need a tremendous amount of strenght anyway, unless you are planning to blow it up. It's more important that every part working with the receiver plays well together. I would rather build on a forged receiver simply because that's what's in fashion right now, you know resale value and the WOW effect. The fact is that my cast has been worked and is smooth as preverbial silk and I couldn't ask for more.

·
Banned
2,325 Posts
What really makes the difference is in the individual receiver and the way that the trigger group, stock, op rod, and bolt work together. If you work out the bugs in all those parts and the way they fit together you will have a better action. That will allow for smoother cycling which means fewer problems with short cycling and failures to feed. The receiver strength is good in both forged and cast. You really don't need a tremendous amount of strenght anyway, unless you are planning to blow it up. It's more important that every part working with the receiver plays well together. I would rather build on a forged receiver simply because that's what's in fashion right now, you know resale value and the WOW effect. The fact is that my cast has been worked and is smooth as preverbial silk and I couldn't ask for more.

You know, every so often, you say something that really reminds me of how intelligent you are, and the above is an example of that.
I feel like lots of people don't give their rifles a chance to get
" Worked In "...I mean really bust a few thousand rounds through them and let them fire lap parts to each other.
I realize you also might have meant worked, as in fitted and built up properly, but either way, worked is worked.
I never thought I would say this either, of any weapons platform, but I couldn't ask for anything more either.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.