M14 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got some 7.62 x 51 mm/.308 brass that I don't recognize or have seen before. I was wondering if anyone else might have some info on these. The letters are "S", "C", "M". No numbers.
Then ever so faintly there appears to be an "A" and an "R" on either side of the "M".

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
I don't know for sure, but the closest I can come is German Manusaar, it is no longer made!GI3

·
Administrator
17,749 Posts
Research, still the only game in town......

Good one Trung Si,

We are talking very old cartridges here. Both cartridges have five symbols that I can see, just one has the inner-circle ring. I came up with Denmark or Norway as the home country for the one on the right. The left one has too many symbols worn off to do a thorough search in a data base.DI5

Going back after posting this, I found that both Brazil and Mexico have many inner-circle or bars on their headstamps from the '20's.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies gentlemen. I'm pretty certain that both of the cartridges are marked the same however the one on the right is much easier to read/see. Since this appears to be 7.62 x 51 mm/.308 brass, it can't be too old. It appears to be in good shape/condition but there is evidence of white powdery (corrosion?) in the neck/shoulder area of one. It has been tumbler cleaned so I guess it could be possible that white stuff is dried polish compound too. Aside from these two pieces of brass looking good, are the likely possibilities mentioned above good brass as opposed to like LC?

Where are you guys doing this research? Or what are you google-ing? I didn't come up with much.

Thanks again.

·
Administrator
17,749 Posts
Research, the only good game in town anymore......

Where are you guys doing this research? Or what are you google-ing? I didn't come up with much.
Thanks again.
I'm using the "Defense Intelligence Agency" Small-Caliber Ammunition identification guide. With change #3 included. Unclassified document Last copy filed on 20th August 1984.
I have been reading it for years now. Plus I have tracked down many sites across the interNet now to research from.DI5

I'm thinking that the two brass cartridges have the same headstamp. M, S & a C...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts