M14 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a heads up on a deal from Hi-Tech Ammunition. The brass does need to be put through a case gauge, and they recommend neck sizing. With boat tail bullets I'm not worrying about the sizing, except for the ones that don't fit well into the gauge.

Other than that I'm pleased with the 500 I received. Only threw out six from the batch, and they sent 510.

http://hi-techammo.com/collections/brass/products/lake-city-primed-308-from-pull-down

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Very little tar residue on the necks.

The military recycles ammo once it reaches a certain age. Most of the primed cases were 2012 and 2013. The oldest was about 25 from 1969! The next oldest was 2003.

I was told they have all been pulled down within the last three years and the primers should be fine.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Another jokester.

·
Registered
5,588 Posts
What is "pulled down" brass, and why would it have a primer? Is it extra that is pulled from the line?
I see you are not familiar with the term "pulled down brass" or "pull down brass.

Time to learn something new for today.

"Pulled down" brass, or "pull down brass", is factory produced ammo that has had the projectile (bullet) pulled from a finished round.

There may have been some finished rounds in a lot (production run) that for some reason or another did not pass QC inspections.

Wrong bullet, wrong power, light powder loads, maybe the machines were not set up correctly at the beginning of the run, or a machine malfunctioned during the run, are typical reasons for QC rejection.

So instead of letting bad ammo get out the door and ending up with some kind of lawyer problem, they will generally reject the entire lot number (production run), pull the bullets, dump the powder, and sell off the brass.

By removing only the projectile and the powder, the primer is still there.

The LC military ammo will have a sealant (not really tar but it looks like it)
in the neck to seal out moisture.

Actually very good brass, just have to clean it up a bit.

School is out, unless you have any more questions

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Lacquer thinner will remove the asphaltum sealant in the neck in about five seconds, so its not a huge issue to deal with.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Wiz.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.