M14 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The question I have is that I know that the 7.62 x 51 mm NATO round is loaded with a 147 grain FMJBT bullet. I'm okay with that. We bought 500 147 bullets from Weidner's and I'm going to use them in the .30-06 for a M1.

Did the M2 round have a BT bullet or was it a 150 grain flat based bullet?

Does it matter?

·
Registered
44 Posts
M2 ball projectiles are flat base.

Don't expect much out of the 147s. They're OK for plinking, but past 250-300 yards, I can't reliably hit 6" steel plates with them. The jackets seem to have a lot of runout and the Weidener's ones have a good amount of variation in weight. That's based on the batches I bought a couple of years ago, though. B

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
Not only in the M2 Ball projectile flat based, the ogive and the location of the cannelure is different.

The M80 Ball projectile is a 10 caliber secant ogive with a 9 degree boattail, the cannelure is .767" from the nose.

The M2 Ball projectile is a 7 caliber tangent ogive flat base, the cannelure is .846" from the nose.

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
It doesn't matter.
The 147 FMJBT will work OK - but don't be surprised if accuracy is so-so.
I'd start by using the same load data as for 150 grain bullets.

M2 Ball uses a 152 grain FMJ flat base bullet.

Jay Kosta
Endwell NY USA

·
Rest in Peace
908 Posts
Given the standard manufacturing tolerances, there may be very little actual weight difference between the two bullets. The M80 has a slightly higher BC but that would have little practical value in the M1 Rifle. You won't be able to crimp the M80 bullet when loaded in the Cal 30 (30-06) case, but other than that, load either bullet with confidence.

BTW, the U.S. cartridge is the 7.62mm NATO. 7.62x51 is the European designation.

Ray

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wideners sell M2 ball bullets??? You should of bought some of those. As Jay said they will work but accuracy isn't that great.
They have some 150 FMJ bullets, whether they are M2 bullets or not I do not know.

I looked at available bullets this morning and it seems that a 150 FMJ Flat Base is not available. I was mainly interested in a 150 grain load instead of using the 168 HPBT. I suppose I could/should use the Hornady 150 grain FMJBT in the M1

I have some Lake City Match as well as some Western Match (180 grain in white military style box) but not too interested in shooting it up. I assume its compatible with an M1.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Shooters pro shop sells Nosler 140s and 155s.

·
Registered
612 Posts
They have some 150 FMJ bullets, whether they are M2 bullets or not I do not know.

I looked at available bullets this morning and it seems that a 150 FMJ Flat Base is not available. I was mainly interested in a 150 grain load instead of using the 168 HPBT. I suppose I could/should use the Hornady 150 grain FMJBT in the M1

I have some Lake City Match as well as some Western Match (180 grain in white military style box) but not too interested in shooting it up. I assume its compatible with an M1.
The Western 180 gr may be a bit much for a gas gun. A collector may want it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.