M14 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

A newbie here so here goes a question.
I have been looking for a M1A and have noticed some Springfield receivers have the 7.62 MM and some don't.

What is the difference if any?

Thanks,
Tony

·
Registered
5,750 Posts
Age. 7.62mm was on older receivers, I'm not sure of what year they changed, I'm sure someone will know though.

Could be they changed when going international and offered other calibers. Really don't know though.

·
Registered
5,679 Posts
Until at least the late '80s or early '90's you had a choice with SAI's M1A between .308 and .243. I'm thinking they may have also offered 7mm-08 and .260 (6.5mm-08) during a brief snapshot of that era. Different will know exactly when SAI phased out the 7.62-stamped receivers. Obviously, that marking wasn't right for everything they were producing.

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
From M14 Rifle History and Development Fifth Edition:

"The 7.62 millimeter caliber markings began with serial number 000001 and remained as part of the heel stamping until at least serial number 0630XX. By serial number 063112 the caliber marking no longer appears on M1A receivers. Thus, about March 1991 the 7.62-mm and 7.62mm markings were dropped because Springfield Armory, Inc. was producing the M1A in different calibers, e.g., 7mm-08."

and, as a side bar from the same source:

"In January 1972, Valley Ordnance Co. performed sixty-three machining steps for each M1A receiver. Earlier receivers machined by Valley Ordnance Co. were given a lot of hand grinding and polishing by Melvin Smith. Specifically, these areas were: 1) the exterior heel corners on the sides 2) the flat surface aft of the operating rod channel 3) the top surface of the left receiver wall from the cartridge clip guide to the barrel ring 4) the vertical surface on the right side behind the cartridge clip guide all the way back including the windage knob ear 5) the left side of the barrel ring forward of the horizontal scope mount groove 6) the magazine well aft of the feed lips and 7) the top surface of the barrel ring after all machining operations that located off the barrel ring had been done. This cosmetic detailing is evident as late as M1A serial number 062857 but was no longer being done by serial number 064922. Note that the hand polishing served to enhance the aesthetic appearance but did not add to the functional ability of the M1A receiver. As Melvin Smith moved to semi-retirement the receiver surfaces noted above were finished by machine. For example, the magazine well on M1A receivers was cut and broached by machine tool after Mr. Smith purchased Hillside Manufacturing."

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.