M14 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
12 February 1959 marks a very important date for the USAF.

On this date B-36J-10-CF, serial number 52-2827, the last B-36 produced, took flight from Biggs AFB, to Amon Carter Field, Fort Worth, and was transferred from 95th Heavy Bombardment Wing to the city of Fort Worth. This ended the service of the big ten engined bomber in the service of the USAF.

B-36J, 52-2827, entered service on 14 August 1954, she was less than 5 year old at the time of her retirement.

12 Feb 1959 marks a watershed for USAF strategic bombing, as with the retirement of the B-36, SAC became an all jet bomber force. Propeller tankers would soldier on for another 6 years, until the last KB-50s were retired due to old age.

·
Read Only
116 Posts
I lived near McClellan AFB as a kid and can remember seeing B-36s landing and taking off from there.
We'd also see another Convair plane that didn't get much press, the XC-99.
At the time, McClellan was expanding as an Air Material Command base so it seems like cargo aircraft were constantly in the air.
The 36s and the 99s were noteworthy because their size dwarfed anything else in the air.
C-119s were in and out like street cars.

·
Retired Admin
I lost all of my rifles & handguns in a mishap on Rio Grande when the barge hit a sandbar and sank.
19,024 Posts
The B-36s are large, just walking under them from wing tip to wing tip is amazing in length. Picture taken at Castle AFB, California.

USAF2

Attachments

Reactions: PFC THOMAS

·
Read Only
2,559 Posts
They are/were a magnificent machine! I've had a love affair with the behemoths my whole life. I had the privilege to sit in the right seat of one once. Roomy! Much nicer than the B-52. Of course, the B-36 crews were known to take 40-hour flights. GI2

·
Registered
Custom service rifle builder
8,620 Posts
This caught my eye because I was stationed at Biggs AFB from 62 to 65. At that time the 95th Bomb Wing had the B52. I was PCS to the 431st Air Refueling Squadron (TAC) which was flying the last KB50J's the Air Force had. When I transferred to Lockborne AFB, OH in 65 the last of our KB50J's went to the bone yard with the exception of one that went to Wright Patterson. I was a parachute rigger at the time and the parachute shop was consolidated so we had to pack chutes for everything on the base. I attended the Rigger School at Chanute AFB, IL in 61-62. They had a B36 on static display that was missing 30 feet of the fuselage. It was still a big mother!

·
Registered
509 Posts
Wow that is so cool. What I love about this forum is all the ancillary story’s that come up on what seems like a mundane post.
God Bless the USA!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.